Author Topic: A picture  (Read 11207 times)

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
A picture
« on: March 04, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
Hey Mark Allen, I wanted to show you this picture. This was on the cover of the book "War Under The Pacific" by TIMELIFE and the caption read "American skipper looking through scope", I used this picture in a powerpoint I made about the silent service in WWII and showed it to Rick. While I was looking at it I noticed the guy in the background on the sound gear, and realized he is the same guy in the background of the photo on the maneuvering board in the control room, when you look at the picture in the control room you will notice the skipper at the scope is John K. Fyfe. "War Under The Pacific" is now at the museum so take the book down in the control room and look at the book picture and the control room picture, it is pretty cool.

"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: A picture
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »
Hey Mark Allen, I wanted to show you this picture. This was on the cover of the book "War Under The Pacific" by TIMELIFE and the caption read "American skipper looking through scope", I used this picture in a powerpoint I made about the silent service in WWII and showed it to Rick. While I was looking at it I noticed the guy in the background on the sound gear, and realized he is the same guy in the background of the photo on the maneuvering board in the control room, when you look at the picture in the control room you will notice the skipper at the scope is John K. Fyfe. "War Under The Pacific" is now at the museum so take the book down in the control room and look at the book picture and the control room picture, it is pretty cool.

I have the book here at home.  I'll have to look.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »
Travis,

I replied to your post on the SubSim website...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=131673&page=2  (bottom of page)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:59:58 PM »
I replied back. lol.
One other thing though, is that it might be a picture from the training conning tower at Sub school. I know that the setup in the picture is quite interesting, and I have searched for all possible reasons as to why it is like that, but my only guess is that it is from another submarine than the Batfish. Also there is a plaque at the Batfish that has a bunch of pictures on it, and I believe both are on it.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=131673&page=3

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 05:19:21 PM »
Yeah, my guess is that it's from another boat or sub school.  The one picture, especially, is very posed as he looks off camera with a thoughful expression on his face while leaning on the periscope.  Maybe it was like a graduation photo.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
it might be a picture from the training conning tower at Sub school.

This is the story I've heard...can't remember where I heard of it or read it.  The caption in the book doesn't state where it was taken.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 07:01:55 PM »
I was looking on the U.S.S. Cod's virtual tour of the conning tower, and the setup in it is exactly like the setup in the photo. Check out the Cod's virtual tour to see what I am talking about.