Author Topic: From the Forward Torpedo Room  (Read 8148 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
From the Forward Torpedo Room
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:14:45 AM »
Just registered - I'm John Theotonio, COB used to call my Tony for some reason, or well never mind.  Qualified on the USS Picuda (SS-382), back in 1964 in Key West.  Picuda was part of Sub Squadron 12.  Finished up on the USS Von Steuben (SSBN-632).  Torpedoman as you might guess.  Spent almost my entire life in California and about 7 years ago my wife and I moved to New Jersey.  We own a house built in 1730, so it's a bit older than me.  I own two Model T Fords (1911 and 1926).  I seem to collect old things.  The attached picture is one of the two cars infront of our house.  I live in Groveville, NJ, established in 1685, has a population of about 6,000. It's by Trenton, NJ.  And yes the Sopranos do live here...

I'm a member of USSVI, belong to New Jersey South Base (primary), Groton, LIB, and Philladelphia bases.  I edit and publish our base newsletter, Hogan's Alley. I'm the POC and membership coordinator, and just about anything else someone asks me to do.

Thanks to Tim VeArd, Pat Householder, and Bill Lee I was able to set up a Picuda page at DeckLog.  Go here: http://www.decklog.com/SS-382.asp I'm hoping it will help bring together a lot of old shipmates.
-----

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: From the Forward Torpedo Room
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:37:52 AM »
Welcome John, we're glad to have you.

I own a driveshaft out of a Model T....my grandfather needed a super duty "tool" to help him with his rockhounding adventures.   He had a machinist take this driveshaft and make a point on one end and a flat prybar with the other end.  It's about 5' or so in length and is really something special.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »
Welcome aboard, Good to see another TM here now.. Does the name Bill Derouin sound familiar from your Picuda days, he was an ET and I think he was on her or maybe it was the Dentuda that I am thinking about??

Darrin
Frmr TM3(SS)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:50:13 AM »
The name is not familiar.  I did a search on his name at USSVI - not listed.  There is a James and a Larry.  Neither served on Picuda or Dentuda.  He may not be a member of USSVI
-----

John

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 12:25:57 PM »
Welcome aboard!  I also served on the Von Steuben.  I was on the blue crew from 1976 though 1979.  If you want another hobby, come on down and visit us aboard Torsk in Baltimore.  The last thing we need is another Torpedoman, but we've grown attached to the two we already have.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
Welcome from The USS Batfish SS310.  The Batfish was also a memeber of Sub Squadron 12.   You may have seen her once or twice.   I love the house and the Model T's.  MY grandfather also owned several,  was an avid restorer of the vehicles....

Rick

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 01:22:04 AM »
Larry is Bill's son and I don't know if Bill is a member of USSVI and both of them work on Torsk almost every saturday of the month, Bill is a young 76 now and still maintains our equipment.

HEEEEYYYYYY Chief, what the HELL there are 3 TM's onboard Torsk..... Frank, Brian and myself.... WTFO???? are you claiming that Frank has left the TM Div to be a BM???? or have you forgotten either Brian or myself or better yet knowing you COB you have just relagated me to being a "ground pounder" because I am on Active Duty in the Army now...... 

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 12:11:46 PM »
OOOOPS!  Forgot about Brian.  Sorry, Brian.  Hard to keep track of all the torpeckermen.