Author Topic: Drum progress  (Read 290657 times)

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Drum progress
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »
Well we are finally back on schedule and deep into the restoration again now that hollywood is done.

We finished sand blasting and painting the periscope shears and radar masts, (made 6 new inspection covers) and the 20mm.
Last week we rented a man lift for a month and got a 300lb sand blasting pot and compressor donated for about a month and Oneal steal donated 6,000 dollars worth of steel, (16 sheets 1'4" and 4 sheets of 1/8"). In two and a half days we sand blasted and primed the top of the stern to just forward of the aft tank bulkhead, 2/3 of the inside of the stern and the new interior partition which we had compled also. Thanks again to the Batfish for her photos..Tom

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2009, 07:46:35 PM »
What is the latest and greatest on the work on the stern tubes??

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2009, 11:10:45 PM »
I'm curious as well.  I've been out of touch the last couple of weeks.  It's going to take a bit of adjusting before I can get back to work here.  :)

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2009, 06:19:02 PM »
OK Guys, here is the latest on The Drum. I have a little busy and tired so haven't updated. We got the donation use of a 300 lb sand blaster and air compressor from Sunbelt Rentals for a month but had to rent a man lift with donation money. The abrasive company could not give us a discount on the sand this year due to the economy so we are having to pay full price. The first two weeks we had the equipment we had off and on rain and didn't get a lot done but it finally cleared. I go in at 0530 and get set up and started and then Lesley comes in at 0730. We blast until about noon or later depending on winds and visitors and then primed what we blasted. We decided to concintrate on the upper half of the hull that we needed a lift to reach and we can get the rest from the ground if we can get a blasting rig again. This week we will put the top coat on and turn in the equipment, we have the crew reunion this week also.

Thanks again to all for the donations.
Tom

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2009, 11:15:07 AM »
Looks like real good progress Tom - great work.  Thanks for the pictures too! ;D
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »
We were able to get top coat on all that we had blasted and primed before the reunion. We were painting monday in 105 degree heat index with rollors and finished up on tuesday monrning. We both had tears in our eyes to see the boat shinning again. We are going to take it a little easy for a couple of weeks and let it warm up some more before we start in again.
Tom

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2009, 07:19:40 PM »
Ok Guys, I know you have all been holding your breath waiting for the latest up date, so you can breath again here it is. I am also posting a first before phot for those that may not remember what we started with. Should be painting it next week. We will do the shutter doors down the rode.
Tom

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Sonar: The Eyes and Ears of the Boat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »
That's amazing!  What looked like a rusted out stern is now looking like it's ready for the outer doors and a coat of paint.  I can't believe the amount of work those people have done.  I wish I could be there to help.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »
WOW, you and Lesley have done an incredible job and I have to echo Bill in I wish that I was closer to give you two a hand. 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2009, 03:35:43 PM »
Tom, what are your plans for the shudder doors?  We'd likek to get something movable, as opposed to welding them in place, since it's kind of hard to ever paint in there, again, if the plates are blocking the way.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2009, 06:06:19 PM »
Mark
I intend to have at least #7 operable as the outer door works now. I will have to make new tracks, rollars etc plus the doors. If I can get the other doors to open I will make the shutters to move also.

Are you guys thinking of making the shutter doors?
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
Yes.  Mark Allen, our work/restoration guru, would like to make and install the doors, but we need plans.

So, your hydraulic system works well enough to open the #7 door or is it mechanical?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »
Get with the folks on the Pampanito because there shutter doors open on their hydraulics, google the pampanito and her last drydock and there is some video of them opening the outer doors.

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2009, 02:24:28 PM »
Okay.  We're a long way from getting that system restored.  A lot hinges on us getting new electrical installations.  That's probably why the Navy removed the doors before giving the boats away, because they knew that the areas had to be accessed for maintenance and most boats would never get their systems operational again.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2009, 06:08:47 PM »
You mean your outer doors are hydraulic? Lot to be said for the older manual boats, 14 turns on a hand crank.
Tom