Author Topic: Boat's Horn  (Read 19130 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: Boat's Horn
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »
search auctions ended to see if it did finish and see the price.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 09:25:21 AM »
One ended on July 12 for $310, another ended on the 11th for about $390, and a third one ended on July 6 for about $370. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

chris

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 07:49:48 PM »
SUBMARINE KLAXON ON E-BAY NOW.ITEM #330259414425

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 06:10:32 AM »
It's strange - boats did not have 120 volt systems.  How is this one working on 120v AC?
-----

John

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »
The Navy has used Klaxons for a number of things besides the dive alarm.  Nucs had 120 VAC Klaxons and so did surface ships like tenders.  On surface ships (targets) they were used for security breach alarms and for engine room alarms of some kind.  We have found many klaxons in the engine rooms of old tenders we have been aboard.  We also fond them on the after helo deck.  Actually, the 1MC onboard Torsk was modified some time back to use 120 VAC to power the klaxons.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
The Batfish I.C. circuit panel has a lot of items that run on 120 VAC, including the 1MC/7MC, radios (receivers), radar, and the lighting.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

chris

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 11:00:04 AM »
SO THIS COULD BE FROM A NUC SUB OR SOMETHING ELSE LIKE AN OLD TENDER?ANYWAY IT IS UP TO $200+ AND THE RESERVE HAS NOT BEEN REACHED.THE ONLY TIME I WOULD TRUST AN ITEM LIKE THIS IS IF I PULLED IT OF THE BOAT MYSELF.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
It will sell for $300+ when it's over.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »
Here is  the typical description for a klaxon horn:

These klaxons were produced for the US Navy in the 1940's. Usually employed in fleet submarines for dive and as cease fire alarms on other Navy ships. These klaxons were made by Federal Electric Chicago Illinois. They are 20 VDC 3.5 amp and produce the distinctive Ah-Ooh-Ga sound. When first produced in 1940, the early versions of theses horns were cast in bronze and Federal switched to cast iron later in the war to preserve bronze for other wartime uses. The horn projector, top plate and electrical plug(s) are steel in all cases.

While it is possible that some were made for 120v AC - typically fleet subs used the 20 VDC versions.  The picture on Ebay looks as if the electrical cord comes directly out of the horn with no modifications - so this one probably is 120v AC.  It is also possible that later sub conversions switch to use 120v AC for many different things in the boat including the horns.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:10:49 PM by JTheotonio »
-----

John

chris

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 12:42:12 PM »
IS THERE A WAY TO TRACE A BOATS HORN BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SUB?

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 02:58:10 PM »
You'd have to have access to the builder's records, then the supply and requition records. May not even exist now.
-----

John

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
All of the Batfish klaxons are missing.  So, I can't verify if the horns were 20VDC or 120VAC.  However, I do know that the input power into the 1MC/7MC stack is 120VAC.  More than likely, the voltages are rectified and stepped down for the horns, just like they are for the speakers.  Most electronics run on DC voltage.  AC voltage is good for power transmission, but it's necessary to convert to DC to run your home computer and TV, for example.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »
I'm going to switch this conversation back to the original topic of the boat's horn.  I found the lever assembly loosley laying under the metal deck supports of the bridge - we currently lack wood up there.  The assembly is still connetced to the air system and the horn.  I was wondering if the boats that still have a WWII bridge would mind posting a  few pictures of how the lever is mounted to the bridge.  It looks like it was welded to something at some point .  I'm guessing tha the lever sticks up through the deck and can be operated by one's foot, but this is just a guess.  While we still have the wood removed, it will be feasible to weld it back into place.  The more pictures, the better.  Thanks.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »
Glad that you found your lever, didn't think that it had strayed too far away from it's home ;)  Sadly I can't help you with the pic of the WWII configured bridge, ours was converted to a step sail and I don't think that it would help much.

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 05:01:55 PM »
Anyone else?  We still only have the metal support structures up there and if we can figure out how to mount the lever, I think Rick is warmed up to the idea to mount it properly before we continue with putting the planks down.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor