Author Topic: What is your favorite class of submarine (from WWII)  (Read 10698 times)

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
What is your favorite class of submarine (from WWII)
« on: March 10, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
Just as the title says.
Mine would have to be the Balao class, for it's looks and the amount of pressure it could withstand, and because the Batfish is a Balao class. lol.
However the earlier V-class boats are second, as they were huge, could complete a variety of missions, and had two 6" deck guns.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: What is your favorite class of submarine (from WWII)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
Just barely-pre-WWII has got to be the Tambor.  The Tambor set the stage with 6 forward torpedoes and 4 aft that the Gato and Balao used.

WWII sub is the Balao, has all the good stuff the Gatos had plus extra dive depth.  :)

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 05:40:40 PM »
Any Gato, Balao or Tench boat with the late war "gunboat" conversion including a 5"/.25 cal. gun fore and aft of the fairwater and a single 40mm on the cigarette deck and forward bridge platform, with the latest radar (SV and SJ or SS) and painted in either the 32/3SSB or 32/9SS camouflage schemes. As Blenny vet once said, all that combines to make a fleet boat look "damn mean."

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
Yes that did make a fleet boat look quite mean.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 03:32:48 PM »
That's a difficult question for an old Marine with close ties to the Cobia and the Manitowoc subs;  however I would have to say the Big V boats, especially The Nautilus SS-168, and Argonaut SS-166 and not just because of their big guns  (see Attach) but because of their operations with Marines; Like the Makin Raid and landing of a detachment of Marines on the Island of Abemama.  Also their many evacuations, rescues, delivery of much needed supplies and equipment in the Phillipines, and other covert missions.  I had the honor and privilege of meeting a fellow Iowan who served on the Argonaut during the Makin Raid, he transferred to the Nautilus before the Argonaut was lost.  I still believe her loss was inexcusable.  I wonder how they ever survived transporting 200 some Marines 2000 miles.  That is 200 unbathed and some of them seasick.  Their rescue of the Catholic nuns was a bit more pleasant.
K0EFV Tom USMC  
Tom USMC

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 04:06:48 PM »
I have to say the Hunley.  Though she was not a true american Submarine,  She was built in the states and made the first successful run.   I would also like to have been in on the recruitment meetings. 

"OK.  We are going to loat 7 of you in a boiler submerge it and attack a Union war ship.  Let's go"

Talk about true intestinal fortitude.......

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 03:39:31 AM »
Anything built by Electric Boat or Manitowoc... those fleet boats were darn pretty... not the swisscheese superstructures of the Portsmouth boats! Yech!

But I guess the EB Balaos were the best looking, clean conning towers... but a GATO is rather nice too, if it wasn't chopped and welded too badly.

But for my money, the early Gato sails were virtual luxury liners!  They had all enclosed steering stands, a vegetable locker in the sail!!! And desks, racks for binoculars, tables for logbooks, etc.  It was obvious they were not thinking about CRASH DIVING these boats when they designed the sails. A few war patrols woke them up! Get a chance to look at the orginal velllums of the yard drawings at National Archives... amazing stuff.

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 01:28:19 AM »
I have to say the Hunley.  Though she was not a true american Submarine,  She was built in the states and made the first successful run.   I would also like to have been in on the recruitment meetings. 

"OK.  We are going to loat 7 of you in a boiler submerge it and attack a Union war ship.  Let's go"

Talk about true intestinal fortitude.......

I have to ditto that. I guess thats the equivilent to todays special forces/navy seals. As for the traditional classes, I am still learing the differences between them. But Balao....the Batfish is balao.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Jim M.

• USS Requin Author
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
    • USS Requin (SS-481/SSR-481)
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 12:27:44 PM »
Mine would be Tench class... especially the MIGRAINE II radar picket configurations..

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 11:41:53 AM »
John,
The Batfish is Balao

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 11:50:58 AM »
I know....I mentioned that at the very end.

:2funny: Gah Rick.....can't even read a whole post....sheesh! Just joking with ya
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin