Author Topic: Federal Surplus Find  (Read 10772 times)

Offline Gunner

• USS Razorback Curator
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Federal Surplus Find
« on: August 27, 2008, 04:24:21 PM »
Found a great cabinet for artifact storage at Federal Surplus.

It was with the other, ordinary file cabinets, an area I don't normally look through, but I had some time to kill.

It was an old card catalog filing cabinet.  You know, for the card catalogs that libraries used to have. 

It was the exact same width, depth and height as a regular filing cabinet, but it had 10 drawers instead of the typical 4.  Each drawer is about 4 1/2" tall, so they are perfect for flat artifacts like plaques, small to medium photo albums, etc.

The old card catalog inserts were held in each drawer with two sheet metal screws, so it only took me about 15 minutes to pull all the inserts out, leaving me with nice flat drawers for storage.

Since blueprint file cabinets are so hard to come by, I thought these might be a good substitute.  I know small artifact storage is MY biggest need.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Federal Surplus Find
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:31:44 AM »
Nice find.

Now what I really would love to have is a "Stay Flat" cabinet... these are wide, up to 48 inches, and about 4 in. deep. The advertising and archetect folks use them, but they're costly and heavy!   But they're perfect for flags, pennants, etc.

All COD filing cabinets came from thrift stores for about $20 each and they're much better built than the crap you see new!  So if you have good thrift stores in your area, make regular sweeps for all types of stuff, for the office side as well as your vessel... REMEMBER, we've even found COD galley gear in Cleveland thrift stores!
Not to mention lots of USN blankets, etc.

Paul
 :smiley6600:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Gunner

• USS Razorback Curator
  • Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:54:39 AM »
Yes, the blueprint cabinets show up at Federal Surplus, but only rarely, and they are in high demand.

In three years, I've scored ONE of the blueprint cabinets, so I was happy to see an alternative.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
Storage is a big problem for us her.   Right now I just have a bunch of 2x4 shelving with a bunch of stuff (keeping it clean) stacked on it.  I have found tht the standard plastic tubs from Walmart work great for stoeing general collections.  What else do you suggest for storing our artifacts?  Where are the best places to get them?

I am also looking for a good solution to 101 plastic models that have accumulated along the way.  and most of those are falling apare as the glue has worn out.   Any suggetions?

Rick

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »
The only trouble with plastic storage bins and plastic storage bags is that they sweat over time and can mold/mildew whats in them.

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »
Storage is a big problem for us her.   Right now I just have a bunch of 2x4 shelving with a bunch of stuff (keeping it clean) stacked on it.  I have found tht the standard plastic tubs from Walmart work great for stoeing general collections.  What else do you suggest for storing our artifacts?  Where are the best places to get them?

I am also looking for a good solution to 101 plastic models that have accumulated along the way.  and most of those are falling apare as the glue has worn out.   Any suggetions?

Rick

Get the Sub Ron guys back out.....target practice!
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 03:05:05 PM »
Lance, 
I only have 3 for one persons personal collection.   This is due in part because of the large size of the collection.  I was not aware that the plastic bins ssweated.  I always thought they keept the water out.  I considered this to be a particularly good as we are surounded by water.   Maybe its the AZ training in me.......

Rick

Get the Sub Ron guys back out.....target practice!
:2funny:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 03:18:33 PM »
Well, they keep water OUT, but if they are subjected to temperature changes, anything plastic will sweat some.

Offline Gunner

• USS Razorback Curator
  • Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 05:17:33 PM »
Also, plastic can react with other materials, especially man-made materials.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 10:48:26 AM »
I've had issues with the plastic bins where they start to decompose in hot temperatures, like attics.  They get this sticky film on the outside.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 02:55:31 PM »
I didn't know how to store my grandfather's old WWII photos and letters.  I ended up sorting them into small manila envelopes and renting a safe deposit box at a local bank.  The safe deposit box we ended up with is on the very top (you have to get a stool) and it is directly under the light.  So they are stored out of sunlight, out of light period, inside a locked safe deposit box which is inside a larger bank vault that hopefully stays around the same temperature all the time.  It was the best thing we could come up with, and it's tax deductible.

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »
I too am having a hard time storing my Grandpa's WW2 pics. But I want my pics with me not in a bank. I look at them too much. lol
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 10:54:18 PM »
I too am having a hard time storing my Grandpa's WW2 pics. But I want my pics with me not in a bank. I look at them too much. lol

Well that's why I scanned everything to my computer first.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 11:46:51 PM »
My grandpas pics are in a photo album he made himself,  then he has a few in a box that are in a cabinet with a bunch of other pics, and so far nothing has happened to them.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »
This may sound dumb - but go to a sports card shop - they have all sorts of protective sleeves and things that are museum quality protectors.  Be sure to get the ones with UV protection and museum grade plastic.  These will not degrade with age as they are made to protect valuable card, photos and memorabilia.  Stuff like programs, brochures, magazines, etc.  They make some that you can use in albums too. 

Lance - you to use these and then put back into the bank vault safety deposit boxes.

All items should be scanned so that you can display the scanned copies and keep the originals safe. Scan photos and you can print on photo paper.  Don't have a photo quality printer - take to Wal-Mart or any place the prints photos - you can have them do it off your disc.   
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John