Author Topic: Batfish Aft Battery Discussion  (Read 15239 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Batfish Aft Battery Discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 12:02:38 AM »
I'm probably against the steps idea, since we would have to cut a larger opening and remove some bunks.  I would like to see an easier access hatch to open and close.  I would like to see an easier access hatch to open and close.The metal plates over the forward and aft battery compartments have to go.

I am totally against cutting any hole in the deck.  I am also totally against removing any bunks.  Ed, Barre and I worked hard to get those up here from Texas and install them.  I'm glad Tim is working on the stantions as what we put up was only a temporary fix.  To sacrifce the deck for a work room is not warranted.

The metal plates work fine.  It isn't much of a hassle to remove the pins and slide the plate out of the way...and if you are down there you can easily slide it back in place.  We did that alot Saturday when we were working down there and someone would walk by, I'd just slilde it back in place.  There is a ladder in the after battery, not sure where it goes.  But using the existing "hole" in the deck is the way to go...it's big enough to get your stuff in and out and does not require any more cutting.

We just need to get all the equipment out that goes out and get the water tanks back up.

MWA
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 08:45:35 AM »
The ladder that's down there goes in the aft torpedo room.  I'm guessing that it was removed to make the room bigger and more accessible.  While under way, I think the ladders in the torpedo rooms were stowed away, anyway.

What used to be over the battery accesses before we starting using metal plates?  What if we used a metal grate that fits the opening? (assuming that there is a recess for it to lock into.)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 01:23:20 PM »
What used to be over the battery accesses before we starting using metal plates?  What if we used a metal grate that fits the opening? (assuming that there is a recess for it to lock into.)

It was an open hole with a plywood sheet on it.  There was also railing in place.  That railing is still in the battery.  We removed the plywood sheet on Saturday.

A grate with a hinge would work well...I can't remember if there is a recess or not...I don't think so.  Might take a bit of engineering work.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 01:41:10 PM »
Correy informed me that Rick approved of a project where one/some of the reenactor guys are going to make fake batteries and put them in the forward battery well.  They are going to put a grate over the hatch in the hallway of officer country so that visitors can look down and see what a full battery compartment would have looked like.  They are only going to put enough down there to make it look like it's actually full.  We'll definitely have to research what the best methods will be for securing the grates over the various holes.

Do you think it's feasible to put the railing back up for the after battery hatch in addition to having the grate?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »
I am going to sound possesive her. 

No one is going to cut holes in my deck. 
Especially ones this larg. We have the large access areas on the Starbordside crews quarters.  This will be suficent enought for us get anything down that we need.  I also would like to kee the after batery sealed to the general public.  This area is to be a secluded area for us to get dirty and SEMI- disorganized.   

rick

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 05:45:20 PM »
Maybe you could build the battery replicas outside so that people could stand up next to a couple to see how big they were – do a cut away to show what the internal cell looked like. Or something to scale. 

I don’t ever remember there being a grate over the access down into the batteries – just a hatch.  If you had to I guess best might be a plastic hatch – just not original. 

I love going down below and seeing just what I saw back on the old Picuda – no tourist additions.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:54:51 PM by JTheotonio »
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »
We don't need replicas. We have a actual battery.  :coolsmiley:
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »
I may be quite dense seeing how I am a TM :idiot2: but why aren't you all using your FWD Battery for storage and Archives ???  while I understand part of the Batfish setup I am not completely sure as to why you are not utilizing ALL of the spaces you have onboard for storage and archives and for work areas not seen by the public????? Please forgive me IF I am stepping on anyone's toes with this subject or any other here because I am not trying to and IF I am PLEASE let me know so I know that I have messed up so I will stop immediatly.

I completely agree that there should be NO cutting of any decks on our boats at this time I have to personally wonder as to HOW the Navy got your batteries out and what did they do to put the deck back in place because in our after battery you can still see the weld marks on our deck and on the stringers..

In the after battery I am fine with not removing ANY bunks to make an access like the Torsk has because ours was done by the Navy in '68 when she was decommed and the opened up further for the Reserves in '69 - '71 when she was a training boat.  FYI our Fwd Battery still uses the same hatch that was origional to the boat and we had a ladder fabricated to mount to the bulkhead for access and our origional After Battery well hatch is STILL in place

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 10:31:08 PM »
Not to get involved in a family squabble, but on COD we use the AB access hatch (we made a steel grate to cover the orginal  opening to increase ventilation... and OUT HATCH us under a MESS TABLE!!! You gotta be limber to get into it. and yes, we too have work tables with short and long legs to fit over the battery steps. THese areas are priceless storage/work areas.   :smitten: Even though it would be nice to have the batteries in place.

I like the idea of a few replica battery cells below an open hatch (with a safety grate for public to walk over)... Thanks for a good idea...

:smitten:

BTW: if you have your Lang Sherman ice cream maker, it is almost an exact size dupe of a Sargo II cell!!!!

I use ours for a size reference constantly.

PF :D
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 10:40:26 AM »
Lots to go over here.  I hope I do not miss any one.  Also I will not call by name as there is too much, so do not make it personal  :smitten:

Johng is correct.  we have one battery in the museum.  I do not believe it is WWII, but it definaltely gives good conversation, and stories.  Our Battery compartments are indeed empty.   an extra access hatch was cut into each battery wells mesuring 3 x3 (rough guess).  These are currently coverec by metal plates to prevent anyone from droping down unexpectedly..... ;D

As far as Archives are concerned.  we are blessed with 8 achres of ground and a 2400 sqr foot museum building.  This building is crouded right now, but it is suficent enough to house our archives and all of numerous displays.   It is my intention to expand this museum in the future.  (this is were the 8 achres come in) ;D

We are going to put both battery wells to use,  the after will be a workshop for on the boat.  We have a seperate work shop outside and seperate from the boat.  This shop is dedicated to major projects that need to be done off the boat and outside work (paint and grounds)(this too will change in the future)  ;D

The forward battery will be converted into an activity room.  This will allow us to hold special events.  Group lockins and class room sessions on the boat and out of the way from the public. 

As for gratings on the hatch covers.  We are planing to open several of the lower compartments up and set up additional displays.  All of our hatches to these compartments are still in place and will remain so.  We are just placing grates to cover the hatches. This will allow visitors to view the lowere compartments and walk across them safely. 

Everyone, Thank you for your input.  do not feel like you are steping on any toes or jumping into our family arguments.  We are learning this on the fly.  Great things are happening out here.  I expect them to continue.

Either that or the deep dives and desil fumes are starting to get to me.... :idiot2:

Thank you all

Rick

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 12:28:14 PM »
it must be nice to have a 2400 Sq Ft museum and a workshop :smitten:  Our work shop is the After battery and occasionaly the Living Classrooms yard or another volunteers metal shop on a very limited basis on both, that and our volunteers take a LOT of stuff home to restore on their own time and bring it back when they are done with the restoration. Now I understand why you don't want your deck cut at all and I can't blame you for that and I am JEALOUS of all of your space to do work.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »
That is one area in which we have been seriously blessed.    The only problem is that the museum has not had the ability in the past to develope it.  I have made it my goal to do so.

rick