Author Topic: Cod Capatin's Quarters  (Read 7709 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Cod Capatin's Quarters
« on: September 09, 2008, 10:34:14 AM »
Paul,

I was wondering if you could post some pictures of your captain's cabin.  Specifcally, what gauges were used in his room, where did they mount the fan, and did he have a sink and a mirror?

On Batfish, we have a heading gauge, but another one has been removed and plated over.  There is no mirror/cabinet nor sink.  I think that this is because the access to the battery hatch is right below where a sink should have been.  I haven't even seen any signs of previous plumbing or that a sink was ever mounted there, but I wouldn't surprised if he at least had his own cabinet with a mirror. 

Finally, I can tell that other items have been removed from the bulkhead near the doorway.  I'm guessing that a 9" fan was probably mounted somewhere on the angled bulkhead so that it would blow down onto the bunk.

Granted, I also know that each boat is unique and even furthmore depending on which boat yard it came from.

Thanks.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Cod Capatin's Quarters
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »
There is no mirror/cabinet nor sink.

I found a sink in the aft battery...not sure where it goes...but you might take a look
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:36:21 PM »
Okay. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »
You're right, every boat was slightly different, BUT!!!   No CO was without a sink!  You think an XO or goat locker would have a sink and not the captain?   :tickedoff:

I'll send some pictures ASAP, a few days.  But our CO's stateroom has a sink with a nice double medicine cabinet (I don't think the Navy had single ones!) and towel racks, and drinking glass holder. The fan was mounted on the overhead facing down on the head of the bunk (not suprising). At the foot of the bed is a deep water gage and gyro repeater. Ours went missing (souvenir I thought) until one day I discovered it in the forward battery, a bit worse for wear. Ashcroft Gage Co. hand built a replica for us in 1994.  Two years ago I contacted our buddy there to see if they could refurbish our shallow water gages in the CR... I was told that the former 18-person department was now one guy and a part-timer and that the new management would shoot them if they even asked to do a pro-bono job like they did in 1994... this is happening a lot... money is the bottom line today and staff have been butchered... no more vets in charge, only MBA jerkoffs...

:tickedoff:

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:52:18 PM »
The medicine cabinets in the other officer rooms and CPO quarters are single doors, but pretty roomy.  It sounds like 9from another discussion) that the big holes cut in the officer quarters and enlisted quarters was done when the boat was decommissioned and/or when it became a dock-side trainer.  I always wondered why they had two hatches to the battery wells and now it makes sense that a second larger one was hacked out to remove the batteries.

So, this is why the CO's sink and mirror/cabinet went missing.  I agree that I was very perplexed and suspicious that a CO would not have his own sink.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 03:45:42 AM »
Here are some shots taken Saturday of COD's CO stateroom.

Hope they help.

The one shot of the overhead in the skipper's cabin shows the shadow of the fan mounting spot... our fan is down for repair at the moment. The clock is visible just aft of it. The medicine cabinet contains 1940s era toothbrushes and tonics, and a shaving mug.

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 04:32:24 PM »
Do me one more favor and photograph the fan that is being repaired and also a head-on shot of the clock.  The clock appears to be smaller than the standard Mk. I deck clock, but it may just be an illusion.  Thanks.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor