Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 12958 times)

Offline Avery Boyer

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Newbie here
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »
Hey guys,

My name is Avery, I live in the Philly area. My local sub would be Becuna at Independence Seaport museum, however Torsk in Baltimore and Growler in NYC are also close. I'm an amateur history buff and sub enthusiast. I also build models, both for fun and on commission. I love subs and am always eager to do what little I can to support them, however being a student prevents me from actually doing hands on restoration work.

This seems like a great forum and I'm glad to be here.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
Welcome aboard Avery, once you get settled in come on over to the school of the boat and see how these boats work.  The manual that all of the information is coming from is the fleet submarine manual and that can be found online at www.hnsa.org

Darrin

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 12:26:26 PM »
Someday when you get time, come on down and visit Torsk (make it a Saturday morning).  Someone on our crew will show you around and maybe get you interested in "hands-on restoration".  welcome

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 01:44:28 AM »
Welcome aboard! As a fellow student I know exactly what you mean. Homework kept me tied up that barely got to go out to the Batfish. I don't do alot of hands on stuff (layed deck once or twice) but I help out other ways. Like in between classes or now work I'll help Rick with groups that need tours. There's always ways to help out if you want and always something you'll be into.

"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:11:27 AM »
There's always ways to help out if you want and always something you'll be into

What John said is absolutely true.  Just show up and let them know you're there to volunteer.  They'll find you something to do.

Right Rick?   ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Avery Boyer

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Hopefully someday when I have the time I'll be able to make it down to Torsk (I was there a couple years ago before restoration began) as I would love to help with the restoration.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 11:52:08 AM »
Yes,,,, There is always a bildge or waste tank to clean out.....  ;D

Seriously.  all the boats can use help.   It is too often that I hear people say that there is nothing to do at these memorials, or they do not have the skills.  I know for sure that I can find something to fit your skill set.   We have things ranging from turning a bolt to filing paperwork.   Jobs both glamorous and mundane.   For the Batfish, just let me know what you like to do and I will put you to work

Rick

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »
Welcome aboard Avery,  I'm just across the river in New Jersey.  I need to get more involved with the Becuna soon - just need to work less at "working" and more at playing on subs.  Like school you should prowl these forums there is a lot of good information.  Maybe we will meet up some day on the Becuna.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 08:04:55 PM »
"Seriously.  all the boats can use help.   It is too often that I hear people say that there is nothing to do at these memorials, or they do not have the skills.  I know for sure that I can find something to fit your skill set.   We have things ranging from turning a bolt to filing paperwork.   Jobs both glamorous and mundane.   For the Batfish, just let me know what you like to do and I will put you to work"

Rick hit that one right on the head and there are more then a few boats that need everyone's help regardless how much or little you know about a submarine, please let the folks on Torsk know when you are down because I for one won't toss you into the bilges (yet) and I want you to know that no matter how much or little you do on the boat that you are always part of the crew and welcome to come back

Offline Avery Boyer

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »
Thanks for that, I will absolutely let you know when I'm down there next.

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 01:07:42 PM »
I take care of the restoration task list and I can tell you that we have many, many tasks to complete.  We have skilled jobs such as repairing and tuning radio equipment to unskilled jobs like cleaning and painting.  We welcome all the help we can get and I feel safe in saying that we have a good crew that is fun to work with. 

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 12:19:08 PM »
Glad you could join us!

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 06:26:48 PM »
I take care of the restoration task list and I can tell you that we have many, many tasks to complete.

Quartermaster?
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline lester_palifka

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 06:22:31 PM »
Hi lester here... Becuna is the sister ship of my adopted boat (USS BAYA ss318) I have been to Philly numerous times to go on the Becuna. I used to know a few of the voluteers down there (subvets from WWII) but unfortunatly they have passed on.. Milton Brown was one of them. there was one fellow thought that i got to know who was on board the submarine  Finback that rescued George Bush. Becuna has a special place in my memories...   regards,,, Lester :)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 11:24:08 AM »
Welcome aboard from the crew of the Batfish.

Rick