Author Topic: School of the Boat for 5 Nov 08 (Torpedo Tubes)  (Read 38086 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: School of the Boat for 5 Nov 08 (Torpedo Tubes)
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 09:44:45 PM »
Terry,

The weapons are today have far surpased what I knew when I rode the boats 16 years ago, the Mk 48 ADCAP is a truly incredible weapon and can hunt down it's prey if it is even remotely close on the angle when it was launched.

To put it into a small reality check, the Mk 17,27 could be pointed at a target and shot and it would go to the depth and course that was put into it prior to launch, that was close to shooting a .45 with some good aim. The Mk 48 ADCAP is close to being a Rotweiller on steroids :coolsmiley:  it can and will hunt it's target down and then blow it in half.

If you haven't done so google Mk 48 ADCAP and look at the video's of decommissioned warships being litteraly blown in half when the warhead detonates.

The speeds that today's boats have is incredible, even a diesel boat running "full on 4" or even a flank bell on the surface is still no match for what our current boats can do underwater let alone the depths that they go to these days. Some of our ahem older I mean senior hmmmmm what is the politically correct term for mariners whom sailed on those lovely diesel boats???  anyways ;)  some who come here can't fathom going below 500' feet deep let alone 750' on a regular basis.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »
*looks up the videos on youtube*easyest way  HOLLY MOOLLY Dang talk about arsh KICKIN!! iv seen several of the Subs today is pretty amazing what todays Navy can do compared to your day in the navy darrin no offense i watched several videos with the Mk 48 ADCAP can do do and the russians ah hell i mean North koreans :knuppel2: AHEM i mean countrys on americas bad side better watch out xD just watching one of those videos ahh the sweet smell of burning metal in the morning from a old warship. I honestly think in the future the subs will be the pride of the navy theyv came truly a long way since world war 2,watching a video of the cod blow up the O-19 with a mark 14 torpedo then watching a newer american sub attack the ship u can truly tell the magnatude of how far we come in the way of military might and even i cant fathom going to 750feet i just cant imagine a sub being capable of doing that just wait for the future though in 50 years its gonna be outrages.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:35:57 PM by BrokenArrowtiger »
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
A few weeks ago I was looking up some "modern" sub stats to compare to the WWII boats.  The Sturgeon-class attack boats, that started construction in the early 60's, could go to a test depth of 1,300+ ft. and a top underwater speed of 30 kts (with a 11.2 Mega Watt power plant). Compare that with the improved (688i) Los Angeles boats that have a test depth of 1,600 ft+ and a 35 Mega Watt power plant.  Their "leaked" underwater speed is 33+ kts, but when you extrapolate the numbers from the Sturgeon's layout (compare reactor outputs and start with Sturgeon's advertised speed), the 688i boats can do around 65 kts under water.  That's hauling some serious ass.  Plus, a rough crush depth calculation puts them at 2,400 ft.  Pretty sobering when compared to a Tench boat.

Crew sizes are around 135 men these days and an LA boat is only 362 ft. long - compared to Batfish with 311+.  The newer boats are more crowded than the older ones, because of the reactors, large prop motor(s), more electronic gizmos than ever, etc.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 04:42:04 PM »
my post didnt come out the way id hope.....oh the subs now are huge
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 08:01:27 PM »
Mark,
You've been reading too much Tom Clancy and no I am not going to tell you the actual depth and speeds  :coolsmiley: 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
I got the data from Wiki.  I figured that the Sturgeon data was pretty accurate.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 09:26:03 PM »
all i know is the submarines today are COOOL!!! :D and there nuclear which is neat