Author Topic: A museum request..  (Read 6151 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
A museum request..
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »
The NHC and I are not seeing eye to eye on our Collection Manegment Policy.  Admitedly it needs a lot of polishing, but I thought is was a good first try.   

Would it be possible for the other museums se email me a copy of your Collection Manegment Policy for comparison.   

Thanks in advanced

Rick
ussbatfsih@sbcglobal.net

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: A museum request..
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:33:25 PM »
Hey Rick...

Check that email address again   :D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:38:12 PM »
In general, just what is a "Collection Management Policy"?  You don't have to give specifics, I'm just curious.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:09:05 PM »
I always did say that I was letter challenged.   It's katt right...... :uglystupid2:

ussbatfish@sbcglobal.net

Lance.  This is the policy that dictates how a museum handles it artifacts.  It will include processes for receiving new items, what items to receive and how to move items out of a collection.  It also states how a collection is to be stored, who has access ect.

Rick

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:07:31 PM »
A collections management policy is a guidebook, bible, and operations manual all in one on how you accession, handle, dispose, loan (yes or no) artifacts, what you look for (why would a WWII sub museum look for Korean War-era Air Force uniforms?) and what you are trying to achieve with your collection.  Remember, the boat is the main artifact, and all of the "treasures" you want to aquire on long-term loan from the USNHC to enhance that artifact is why you need a good collection management policy... Nobody wants artifacts to be lost due to poor handling...  not pointing fingers, but there have been some mishaps in the past (not anyone I know these days...) -- a good place to look is any small, ACREDITED, museum. They should be willing to help.

Rather than copy an existing sub collection policy, it is vital that you look at each element of say a land-based museum CMP and translate it to your situation... by doing so, it will make you think and make specific decisions about how your particular group will operate.

Good luck and remember, it's not rocket science!   :coolsmiley:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 04:07:31 PM »
Thank you,
We did write our first attempt based on the template provided on the NHSA web site.  I used this specific format to try and make things simpler for the NHC.  How ever, I was told that we were being too broad and that the template was not intended to be used like that.   

Maybe I am crazy,  but I thought that is what a template is for......... :uglystupid2: