Author Topic: List of WWII Sub Museums  (Read 42942 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: List of WWII Sub Museums
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 04:19:48 PM »
Agreed!

I'll see if I can get down to the bone of it from someone with the Batfish. 

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »
Here is the info stright off of Rick Dennis's card (park manager at the Batfish):

3500 Batfish drive
P.O. Box: 253
Muskogee Oklahoma 74402
email: ussbatfish@sbcglobal.net

The P.O. Box is because they do not have a mailbox on their road.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »
Thank you!

Hopefully sometime tomorrow I'll be able to sit down and compare addresses again.

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »
Travis and Lance, that is because the post office does not recognise offically that that Bat Fish Drive is a real road. There are numerous agreements between a county, the postal system, and the fire department before addresses on a road can be designated. I did an apartment complex once that had to have all the addresses renamed because of the fire department wanting it named in a different sequence. The post office went along and we spent a lot of money renaming it. This goes back to if you ask the local post office where you live about an address what they tell you and what you may get delivered somewhere are two different things. It is fine to put the Bat Fish Road address on there, but if someone brings up a map, it will say that the road leading into the property is unknown as far as a name. Neither google or Mapquest will show you the park by using Bat Fish Drive or Road. Also Google and the zip code people list it as
I have called people on the phone and they have given me addresses that I can send a magazine to and it gets there. But the post office in their lists, don't show them.  Not trying to argue, just pointing out some of the things I have found in researching for maps, magazines, and other reasons.  Putting that address in map quest gets a reference to it that is 5 miles a way. Google will only show the site if you list it as War Memorial Park.  neither of the two streets that run together where the entrance road is, have postal addresses for the last half mile or so listed. You can get a correct set of directions right to the boat from Google, but the last thing it tells you to do is turn onto an unnamed road. 
The reason I am trying to make a point about this is not to argue, but because with our sub memorials map, we have over 12,000 members who can look at it and use the map feature with it's directions to show how to get to that boat when the are on vacation. So it has to work to show the right spot to get them to where they might possibly see some sign that will say Bat Fish Road. By the time they use the map to get that close, they are in sight of the buiding and boat anyway. Try going to the Batfish on the sub memorials map and use the map at the side of the page that comes up and you'll maybe see what I am getting at. I have nothing against what anyone wants to put down for an address, just that it doesn't always work with the post office or with the map systems.
Here is what the zip code directory shows for the Bat Fish Road address and I got the same message when I put in the street address and the POB.
Find a ZIP Code by entering an address.
(You can also search for a partial address, such as "Main Street, Fairfax, VA.")
We're sorry! We were unable to process your request.
The address was not found. Please check the address below.
You may want to utilize the Yellow Pages and/or White Pages below.

* Required Fields
* Address 1  3500 Bat Fish Drive      
Address 2      
 Apt, floor, suite, etc.
* City   Muskogee   
* State   OK     Find state abbreviation
ZIP Code      

Here is what it shows when you put in the P. O. BOX
 Full Address in Standard Format 

PO BOX 253
MUSKOGEE OK  74402-0253

Bill
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 09:54:28 AM »
Ok, here's some differences.  Let's see if we can figure them out!

USS Becuna
I copied their address from their website:
http://www.phillyseaport.org/Contact.shtml
I hope their zip code is really 19106 as they state there.

USS Ling
http://www.njnm.com/
Everything on their website states their zip code as being 07601 and having no P.O. Box.  They repeatedly ask for all mail to be sent to:
78 RIVER STREET HACKENSACK, NJ  07601

USS Requin
I copied their address straight from their website:
http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/contact_us.aspx?pageId=3
It states their zip code as being 15212-5850

USS Silversides
What a mystery!  Apparently the park it's in is now called "Great Lakes Naval Memorial and Museum"
Their webpage:
http://www.glnmm.org/About%20Us.htm
lists no P.O. Box, only a physical address.  So I wonder if they don't have a P.O. Box any longer?

USS Razorback
These folks were kind enough to supply all their information on a single page, just like any sane folks would do.
http://www.aimm.museum/contact.htm
Note they list 2 separate addresses, a physical and a mailing.

USS Pampanito
I'm at a loss of what their true address is.  I've found at least 3 different addresses and none of them match.
http://www.maritime.org/hours.htm

Help!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 10:11:47 AM by Lance Dean »

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »
Once you and Bill figure this out, I'll modify the original list to reflect the new data.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »
ok, the first one (the Becuna) will give you a good zip code, if you use 211 S. Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA  19106-3101  The post office doesn't use cross streets. If you want your map to show exactly where to pull off into the parking across from Delancy St, which is right where you pull in to walk about  50 feet to go onboard,  Then use 361 S. Columbus and the marker will end up right where you pull into the parking lot. The boat is directly east of there. I am sure the 211 address is once again where the mail needs to go, but is not where the boat is. On the USSVI memorial map, I'll put the 361 address in to locate the marker on the map, but in the notes on the boat, will put in directions to get there and also list the correct mailing address.
I'm taking my aunt to the doctor, but will do more of these this afternoon if you would like. What makes it easiest to get the good mailing address is to drag the icon for the zip code look up to your desktop and put in the address until you get a good 9 digit zipcode, then use google earth to actually locate excatly where the boats are and the streets and businesses around to zero in on it. Think Fuzzy sent you views of all of them. But don't think you can manipulate those views. So I just put a starting address in Google Earth; locate the boat on GE,  then bring up google maps and change the address around  until it lines up.  Oh, just read all your note. I have the Pampanito figured out also. Also have done the Cod the same way to get it lined up to work. Will get all these posted early this afternoon.
Bill
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 10:56:55 AM by Viejo »

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
Heh, I redid the Google map on the main page using GPS coordinates.  I also swapped the map to be defaulted to satellite imagery.  The marker pins are all set 100% positively on top of each submarine now.

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »
Lance, shoot me an email when you have the time to tell me how you did that. I want to do it for the sub memorials map as it would save hours of locating not just these boats, but the other 140 memorials we have on there. Thanks,
Bill

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
MAGIC! :)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 11:53:33 AM »
Speaking of memorials, the Muskogee War Memorial has dedicated plaques for each of the 52 submarines lost during WWII and a brief description of their fate.  They did a very nice job with them.  I'll take a picture of one when I am down there next time.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »
You got to remember you are working with a comptuer dummy, that can barely type and is still trying to have the time to learn how to do html. I do everything the hard way cause I have too many projects going to sit down and learn the easy way, so rely on the smart ones to show me how.
Bill

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 11:57:59 AM »
You got to remember you are working with a comptuer dummy, that can barely type and is still trying to have the time to learn how to do html. I do everything the hard way cause I have too many projects going to sit down and learn the easy way, so rely on the smart ones to show me how.
Bill

I know Bill.  :)  I'm 30 and I've been sitting in front of a computer since I was in 3rd grade.

The BEST place on the net to get HTML advice is http://www.w3schools.com/ by the way.  I'll email you this afternoon when I can bud.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »
Speaking of memorials, the Muskogee War Memorial has dedicated plaques for each of the 52 submarines lost during WWII and a brief description of their fate.  They did a very nice job with them.  I'll take a picture of one when I am down there next time.

Which lost sub is Oklahoma assigned?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 12:03:55 PM »
That I don't know.

Speaking of Oklahoma, they're working on raising money for the USS Oklahoma BB Memorial.  I forget where it's proposed location will be.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor