Author Topic: 52 LOST BOATS  (Read 18174 times)

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
52 LOST BOATS
« on: March 18, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »
Each state was assigned to establish a memorial to a lost sub with New York and California being assigned two submarines.  Iowa was assigned S-36 (SS-141).  For many years Iowa was the only state without an official memorial for their boat.  I had tried for several years to correct this situation with little or no success.  I am happy to announce that the USSVI group in Iowa finally accomplished the mission.  A beautiful monument was installed and dedicated on the State Capitol Grounds this past June.  I salute each and every member for their dedication and hard work in getting the job done.  I will attach a photo of the monument and the dedication.  Although no crew members were lost on the S-36, one only has to read the deck logs of her final few days to appreciate what the crew had to endure in their futile attempts to save the S-36..
Tom USMC

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: 52 LOST BOATS
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
That's great news, Tom.  Your memorial still needs a Mk. 10 or Mk. 14 torpedo. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

chris

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 07:40:51 PM »
NOW THAT A FEW OF THE LOST SUBS FROM WWII SUCH AS TANG,WAHOO A FEW OTHERS HAVE BEEN FOUND AND NOT THAT DEEP DO YOU THINK DIVERS WILL TRY TO REMOVE ITEMS FROM THEM.dOES THE NAVY KEEP SOME KIND OF WATCH ON THE LOCATIONS OF THE SINKINGS

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 07:46:23 PM »
They're considered to be grave sites, but if they're in the middle of nowhere, I doubt that much attention will be given to them.  Usually, the coast guard keeps an eye on that kind of stuff (wrecks within 12 miles of shore), but we need all active duty Navy ships to be spanking terrorists.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

chris

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 07:51:33 PM »
DO YOU THINK THEY SHOULD BE RAISED AND BROUGHT HOME?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 08:21:16 PM »
There's probably not a whole lot left to them after rotting in salt water for 65 years.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

chris

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »
I HAVE SEEN SOME IMAGES OF WAHOO AND A COUPLE OF OTHERS ON THE INTERNET AND THEY LOOK TO BE ALMOST COMPLETE

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 08:33:31 PM »
Whether they can withstand being raised from the dep is another story, though.  They might break apart.  Typically, the Navy doesn't dig up old wrecks, with a few rare exceptions, like the Squalus.  They'll treat it as a burial ground and leave it undisturbed.  Someone may dive on the wrecks to better determine the boat's final fate (like if there are bomb holes in the deck or the hull was blown open by DCs).

The pictures that I saw of the Gudgeon showed a very deteriorated hull.  You could barely make out the boat, anymore.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

chris

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »
YOUR RIGHT THEY MIGHT BE WORSE OFF THEN THEY LOOK.I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THEY WILL EVER TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT THE SCORPION(SSN)NOT MUCH LEFT OF HER BUT THE 2 BOOKS I READ REGARDING HER DO NOT SEEM TO MAKE A LOT OF SENCE.DO YOU THINK SHE TOOK ON A SOVIET SUB?

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 10:22:04 PM »
The Navy strictly prohibits any removal of objects from a sunken vessel.  As you all stated they consider it a grave site.   The problem is can the Navy really say that about a submarine that was sunk in foriegn warter ore even international waters.  The US Navy really does not have any Jurisdiction there.  And if I am not wrong anything that is found in international waters basicly falls under the finders keepers rule. 

My personal feeling is to leave it be unless there is a way to obtain a significant piece of historical information (ie  why did the sub sink). 

There is my 2 cents I am open to comments and opinions.

Rick

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »
I don't believe the Navy ever even got over there to confirm the Wahoo.  Sure, a submarine that appeared to be Gato class was discovered in the area that the Wahoo should have been in.  But I don't think the Navy ever cared enough to go verify.

Either way, I'd about guarantee you that no WWII submarine will ever be raised (by the USA) for any reason.

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 07:36:41 AM »
I think anyone trying to raise or salvage the Wahoo or any of our lost subs in international waters would be in deep shiggedy with the U.S.

On the upside, it is interesting that there have been some significant discoveries of lost WWII U.S. subs since 2000, including Lagarto, Grunion and Wahoo.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »
I wouldn't expect any of us would be experts in admiralty law, but let me just add this to the posting above regarding US claims to wrecks in international waters:  they ARE recognized as national property!  Don't fool yourself!  Such a law is based on the nation's desire and ability to enforce the claim. Now I'm not saying the USN will speed a carrier battle group to surround your dingy if you violate such a wreck site. NO, they would do something far worse than even nuclear warfare:  they'd unleash the Pentagon Lawyers!!!

PF
 :police:    :knuppel2:   :uglystupid2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »
http://www.emackinnon.com/wahoo-found.html

The Navy has no plans to salvage or enter the Wahoo wreck. Naval tradition has long held that the sea is a fitting final resting place for Sailors lost at sea. The Sunken Military Craft Act protects military wrecks, such as Wahoo, from unauthorized disturbance.

About The Sunken Military Craft Act

Not that the act matters to anyone outside of the USA though...

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 12:58:44 PM »
I recently saw this topic and i have a update....recently the Uss Flier was found completly demolished by some of its torpedos exploding over the last few years..and in eroupe they recently raised 2 uboats 1 of them is a enviromental threat becuse it had mercury on board and its causing havoc with the fishes off the norwegion coast..and the other one was found near the UK almost intact but its conning tower demolished and they braught that up as a musem a few years back and i guses its a musem cant find a website on it though now to the american side in 2000 Robert ballard found a jappanse submarine right off of pearl harbor sunk buy the USS WARD they were gonna raise it until well they found the torpedos and the navy quickly decided to leave it there since there was live torpedos so ya i really doubt any submarines will be raised becuse of live torpedos it just takes years to clean that stuff out and most of it is irreplacable plus with people dieing with the germen submarines they did take the bodys and stuff out very sad i think anyway thats my update on it  sorry it was a little late
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian