Author Topic: It's walways nice to breath in a submarine - back to school everyone  (Read 28259 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: It's walways nice to breath in a submarine - back to school everyone
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 01:16:38 PM »
Still waiting for an answer guys! :(
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
I know.  I've been REALLY busy with work and home life.  I'm trying to get some of the BLHA renactors on here, since this is even better than just reading the manuals.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 12:46:28 PM »
Keep on 'em Mark, it always is nice for the reanactors to really know how the gear works

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »
I need our "skipper" to reinforce this - I know that he's gearing up for the Sandbox.  If we made it mandatory for them to learn the boat, it would improve the tours and we'd get more people interested in getting stuff working again.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »
Absolutely, it also helps for your DOCENTS to know about the boat and how it really works also :coolsmiley:

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 02:59:48 PM »
We don't have docents.  People walk through the boat on their own.  It's pretty much a one-man show most of the time.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 04:42:52 PM »
There is something else that you might want to bring up to the Rick, docents do have a good bit of use.. The Slater calls them their tour guides and has them learn the boat prior to giving any tours and they do quite well, others use the hand held wands that describe the compartments as you go through them and yes even the open boat tour happens also.  Our docents open the boat at the morning and then close her up at night and make sure that she is clean when the sleep overs are done and ready to go (along with staying overnight with them)

For those whom don't know about the Slater she is a WWII DE that is the last one afloat in the US and after her service with the US she went to Greece and then returned home where she sat and rotted in NY until the current group was able to get her to Albany where she has become the show piece of the museum community.

Side note to the Slater they currently OWN the title to that ship so NAVSEA can't say anything about what they do to her but they are keeping with the HNSA guidelines and have done a FANTASTIC job in restoring a ship that was once nearly too far gone to save (kinda like the Cavalla) the only other group that I know of and is FULLY operational and sails on her own power is the LST 325 and she was also brought back from Greece a number of years ago by an aging crew and she also has become a show piece of the LST community and for the WWII generation.

The website addy for the Slater is: www.ussslater.org and LST 325's is: www.lstmemorial.org

These are both fantastic sites for those who are just now entering into this arena and would like to see what the Skimmer community has been able to do with two very unique ships that were written off as scrap more then once.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 10:53:07 AM »
I've seen the LST 325 site.  Very cool story how they got and restored her.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 03:21:20 PM »
Since no one ever answered the last two questions, I'll take a stab at it.  You asked for "main induction valves".  I see two in the diagram that you posted.  There are several induction valves, but only two "main induction valves".  There is one in each of the engine rooms.  There is a lever next to each one attached to the overhead that operates the valves open and shut.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 09:30:05 AM »
Thanks Mark  :)  This one was a long time in finishing.  The two main induction valves are in the engine rooms - one each near the aft end of the compartment and operated by a level as you said.

For those interested I posted two drawings of the ventilation system and an induction valve.  There is also a Maneuvering room induction hull valve, which comes off a 16" pipe which obtains its supply of air from a damper fitting in the starboard engine induction line located in the superstructure. The maneuvering room induction hull valve receives bypassed air to cool the operating control stand in the maneuvering rooms. The amount of air that is bypassed is controlled from the after engine room by a lever-operated damper in the damper fitting.
-----

John

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »
That's interesting.  I never knew that.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »
Well you know those guys in Maneuvering  have a lot of hot air
-----

John