Author Topic: "Save the COD" founder passes  (Read 5655 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
"Save the COD" founder passes
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:02:55 AM »
Just got the news that Captain Don Gairing, the man who deserves the most credit for saving USS COD from the scrappers and who set up the very successful management organization we currently employ, passed away a few days ago from cancer in his home in Jacksonville, Fla.  Capt. Gairing retired from USS COD in 1992, but was one of three who got the "Save the COD" program off the ground. His two shipmates, Capt. Marvin Schatz and Admiral Richard Freundlich, passed away in the last few years. Capt. Gairing met his wife Jan when she joined the "Save the COD" committee. My prayers are with her tonight.

Capt. Gairing was an academy grad (not sure of the year, but maybe 1946) and served aboard USS SENNET.

Working for Don gave me a deep appreciation of what makes a man a leader. He was tough, but honest and fair. He delegated authority and encouraged his junior staff. He will be missed.

COD is a tribute to his foresight.

Rest easy Captain... we have the watch.
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: "Save the COD" founder passes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:27:40 AM »
Paul,
I am sorry to hear the loss of your friend and one of the saviors of the COD, he sounded like a good man and a better friend.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: "Save the COD" founder passes
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:21:49 PM »
too many passings in this year.  they need to stop...... :(