Author Topic: Old submarine sound effects CD for use in the museum?  (Read 12215 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Old submarine sound effects CD for use in the museum?
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
I believe the Batfish folks have one.  Did you guys make it?

Let's discuss what kind of stuff you should put onto a disc for use inside a submarine museum for playback in the background while visitors are touring.

I'm not sure if the Drum has something like this (I believe the music of the era is piped into the Drum just like the battleship, from the same source) and I think the Marlin might want something like this.

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Old submarine sound effects CD for use in the museum?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »
Only if you want to drive the docents nuts. We have had to pack rags in the speakers because the powers in charge don't understand volume control. The louder the music, the louder the kids and you can give up talking to visitors or even being able to think.
Tom

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »
Very true Tom.  I was thinking something more along the lines of what someone might play in, say, the radio room.  Quiet, in the background, volume controlled by the docent.  Just different as that it could be in just a few key rooms, like the conning tower, engine rooms, and maybe maneuvering or something.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »
We have a whole series of custome sound arangements.  It all depends on what is happening.   As a rule of thumb,  We do not play anything on the boat if I have tour guides for the previously mentioned reasons.   I do have a 5 disc CD changer wired into the speaker system that will play various recordings on the boat, but that will play across the boat.  I hope to upgrade this in the future to allosw us to play specific sounds in specific compartments.  Right now we have the dreaded tour recording playing (it has been edited to remove the umms and uhs...   over 30 minutes worth), a selection of big band music and some general sound found on the boat.   When the reenactors come aboard, they set up aditional sound equipment to allow for compartment specific sounds.

Rick

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »
Spend the day topside on Torsk and you will dread hearing the same thing over and over and over and over again... "DIVE DIVE...OOOHHHGAA.....OOOOOHHHGGGAAA.  and minute later "SURFACE SURFACE"    it scared the living crap out of me the first time I worked inside the sail (deep in the sail with the rust and bird pooo) and being 6'3" and roughly 240# it was funny watching me try to quickly squeeze out of the sail with the oh shit we are trying to dive look on my face before I remembered that was just a damned recording :o

Day two of that I and I threatened to cut the speaker wire so it could not be repaired and was polietly told not too (Damn you Chief Mike) a well greased rag was stuffed inside the speaker to shut the damned thing up :coolsmiley:  Day 3 of that 5 day work weekend was debating on how to remove that speaker without too many people figuring it out, didn't work.. was caught before I even got the wires cut, the above mentioned Chief had heard my grumblings about it while I was working on trying to get a very stuck partially open head valve all the way open (still hasn't moved more then a 1/4") and then greasing all of the scopes and the snorkle mast (didn't get that or the ECM mast up either that weekend).

Anytime any of you would like a very special tour of the Torsk let me know, I will be more then happy to let you climb inside the sail with the bird poo and flaking paint... speak nice and I will even give you a bucket and putty knife so you can help us pull the pounds of rust,poo and carcasses out from the sail.

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 02:12:14 PM »
Darrin, the only time we play the OOGAH OOGAH tape any more is when you are aboard.  We know how much you enjoy listening to it 2,345 times a day.  I guess we'll have to post a third Marine to watch you so you don't tear out the speaker that we all enjoy listening to.   ::)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »
Have no fear Chief,
it may never play again, because my crystal ball shows a catastrophic failure in the sound system's very near future  ;)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 12:48:35 AM »
I have heard all of these issues aboard COD...  but remember, its the visitors who pay the money that goes into keeping the boat afloat! 

But yes, hearing something for the umpteenth time can make you nutty...   :crazy2:

Aboard COD we have "kill switches" hidden in each compartment to silence the digital recording in that space for LIVE tourguides (oh if we only had more of them!)...

Besides Darrin, I was told you blasted out of the sail because you saw a particularly nice looking bird on the pier!...   ::)
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 08:30:51 AM »
Which bird was that one again ;)   there were a few that weekend that got me out of the sail for a moment of bird watching :smitten:

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »
Lance,

Back to your original question and to expand on what Rick said, Correy got a bunch of recordings of different machinery running that were specific to a room or area.  We don't play alarms or announcements unless it's for a specific reason, like announcing that a tour is on its way or its part of a live-action skit... which we probably won't be doing much of anymore.

For instance, we have very loud engine noises playing in the FWD engine room, but we are going to remove the equipment in the aft engine room.  Tour guides can guide the folks through the noise to give them a feel for what it would have been like and then he'll stop the tour in the aft eng room to explain what is going on and what everything means.  The one set of speakers uses a sub-woofer, which actually vibrates the deck plates - pretty cool.  8)

In other rooms, we have random motor and pump noises that add some ambiance to the room, but aren't annoying.  We don't play active sonar pings or depth charge noises.  The torpedo rooms play recordings of the gyro, speed, and depth changing equipment whirring and clicking and then once in a while there's a loud "whooooosh" for a torpedo launch.

Over the 1MC sometimes we'll play some period music with some added static in the background, but it's not loud enough to drive you crazy after a few hours.  Our main goal is to provide some life to the boat, but we don't want to detract from the tour and the actors in each compartment.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 01:30:30 PM »
Could you make those sound effects available to the rest of us?  Torsk has enginestartup, running, and shutdown, but nothing else.  Once upon a time there were sound effects from Maneuvering on the internet somewhere, I just don't remember where.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »
Whole bunch of sounds here:

http://www.hnsa.org/sound/index.htm

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 07:37:14 PM »
Geezus CHIEF.... WTFO??? the only thing ya had to do is ASK and I WOULD have sent the link to ya or even down loaded them and brought them up on DISK for you :knuppel2:    There are a number of VERY good sets of sounds on the hnsa website to include the attack made by the STERLET on a Japanese BB, depth charges and so on and so forth..

Would you like all of them sent to you that way you don't have to track them down for yourself CHIEF :2funny:

Let me know Mike what you would like and IF you would like for me to cut them to CD and bring them with me Friday because I might be able to get that one done for you ;)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 10:43:43 PM »
..sounds on the hnsa website to include the attack made by the STERLET on a Japanese BB..

You mean Sealion, not Sterlet.  :)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »
You are absolutly correct Lance, thanks for the catch on that one ;)