Author Topic: SDIP Self-Inspection Checklist  (Read 66551 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
SDIP Self-Inspection Checklist
« on: January 30, 2009, 04:35:44 PM »
SDIP = Ship Donation Inspection Program

I received this from the HNSA.  How interesting this is!  Apparently this is part of your annual NavSea inspection.  The first part is a Self-Inspection Checklist.  The second part is your actual SDIP Checklist.  So from what I understand, you must complete this Self-Inspection Checklist prior to the NavSea inspection?

Check out the Self-Inspection Checklist.  I never knew you guys had to do so much!

http://www.submarinemuseums.org/pics/misc/SDIPSELFINSPECT.xls

Also, here is the actual Checklist:

http://www.submarinemuseums.org/pics/misc/SDIPChecklistFY09.pdf

And just added, here is a schedule of what needs to be done how often:

http://www.submarinemuseums.org/pics/misc/InspectonItemList.pdf
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:17:34 PM by Lance Dean »

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: SDIP Self-Inspection Checklist
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »
I have never seen a self inspection checklist, we just fix anything that was found on the previous inspection and take care of the things we know they normally look at, like putting some oil in the bilge because they write us up for that wether they look or not.
Tom

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 01:11:09 AM »
The thing I could see from reading through it was that it makes a nice safety check list to have verified before someone comes around. it also reminds you of things that should be there and should be checked. I'll be taking a copy up to the Marlin and posting it as it will help us make sure we go through everything so someone doesn't turn on something or if something happens we know where things are. In my reading through the HNSA documents, I do believe that their manuals and discussions are valuable to help you do things the right way. Also they have a very complete list of grants and whre to go for them.  I have sent that list to the grant writers for Omaha Parks. Also something else that I'll be doing is signing up the subvet volunteers as members of RSVP so that they are covered with free insurance when on the Marlin. It is only for those 55 and older, but that willl cover most who work on it anyway and then the RSVP person for Omaha will be recruiting other volunteers for us at no charge.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:31:01 PM »
Just received clarification from HNSA.  This Self-Inspection Checklist is something new and hasn't been officially implemented just yet.

Apparently this will be something required in the near future, however.  That's why no one has heard of this before.

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:42:24 PM »
From reading through it, seems like it is a good thing to use as a check off sheet.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 07:41:23 PM »
Updated the original post to include the actual Checklist.  I converted it to .pdf so everyone could read it.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »
The NavSea folks attending the HNSA board meeting on Monday made "quite an IMPRESSION" on us...  :knuppel2:  :idiot2:

Something is afoot at NavSea and it isn't good.  My intel sources say someone is suing NavSea over some ship and the shit hit the fan, causing brown mist to be blown in every ship's direction.

But the big bad wolf can't blow my ship down!

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 05:48:25 AM »
Hey Paul
Can you give us any more details Please? Our inspection is 4 April.
Tom

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:11:21 AM »
Being a dry berth you don't have much to worry about. The checklist that is posted here is chock full of N/A columns for dryberth ships.  Basically they want us to do most of the checklist type of stuff for them...  the real change (to me) is the mindset back in DC ... they are reacting to something and that is an issue we have no control over.  Remember, in the final analysis, they can't do much to hurt us!  They have to answer to local political representatives.

What happened in the board room should mean little to us "in the field" at this point.

But you wouldn't want to get into a cage match with the big woman who replaced Gloria Carvallo (temporarily, I hope, while she is on sick leave).  :knuppel2:

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 11:47:13 AM »
Blueback is scheduled for inspection in May.  In addition to the NavSea annual SDIP, I saw a separate list of items that are on permanent loan, such as the ice cream machine, micro wave, union jack, and about 20 other items that they want pictures of to verify their condition and that they are still on the boat.  What is this about?

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 05:35:15 PM »
Dave:

That is something totally different. The curator of the Navy wants periodic reports on the condition of the stuff on long-term loan (think permanent, unless you go to scrap or give a middle-finger to the SecNav) to the boat. That is that stuff. Now on COD we have deck guns and china to report on. Fill out the paperwork send a picture of said item reporting it to be SAFE and in good shape, and you're off the hook for another few years.

Keep a list, so you can do this when you have time to kill next cycle.

Paul

Oh, and PAINT THE HULL NUMBERS in USN font, not Soviet!!!  Augghhhhhh!!!! (love the Blueback, hate the hull number font)  :smitten:

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »
Thanks Paul
Tom

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 11:40:48 AM »
I have told the "Powers that be" at OMSI about comments concerning the Russian numbers.  I think I have got their ears and it may just happen.  What font are the Navy Numbers?

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »
shit if I know... block numbers.  Look at the photos of the boat in service.. or any other boat in service  :uglystupid2:

But let's give it a name and then we can charge a royalty for its use from the Pentagon... say we call it "Popeye Arabic Numerals" !!!
I think this should be worth about $3 million per year (only if we were defense contractors  :'( :crazy2:    )

If the numbers are corrected... then Blueback would be just about PERFECT!!!     :-*

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 05:59:18 PM »
We just finished our inspeciton.  It did not seem to be anything out of the ordinary,   We went through the usual walk thoughts.  Losts of pictures were taken and we were told that we are doing a wonderful job.  Our inspectior was even happy that he was happy to see the strong showing of support again.   We discusseed the usuall list of chores and the hurdles that we are encountering in getting those chores done.   They are changing the report style.  as for the loan artifacts,  That was very smoothe.  I just sent a current picture of the item an filled out their report and all was good.  I do know that a new Admiral has taken over the NHC and the name changed to for the usuall military convention (long and full of usless adj.).   

Rick