Author Topic: Batfish visit on 3/22  (Read 28551 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Batfish visit on 3/22
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »
Guys,

We cancelled our trip to Pittsburgh, because of booked flights and I got the green light from the War Dept. (my wife, Jill) to come down to the boat this Saturday.  I remember a few of you saying that you would be there, as well.  So, it sounds like it will be a good day all around.

I'm going to continue to clean the 1MC and maybe the I.C. circuit board this weekend.  I was using denatured alcohol and it was good at removing paint, but not so good with dirt and grime.  So, I'll probably bring Simple Green this time to cut through the sludge.

If it's sunny, it would be a good weekend to take exterior photos, since we may be getting closer to getting the money we need to start exterior restoration.  I'd like to take some notes on specific areas that we need to address, too, like putting foot rails back on the conning tower exterior.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Batfish visit on 3/22
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:17:01 PM »
Mark S.,

My wife and I will be there on the 22nd, look for us at the Shark Memorial.  Vaughn and Mary are suppose to be there also.  After I get the torpedo painted, I plan to start looking into Ricks list of repairs and take photos as I need to update the virtual tour.

See you Saturday.

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »
Sounds good.  Do you guys need any gloves for painting or stripping paint?  I have rubber chemical gloves and disposable latex gloves.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:36:43 PM »
Nope...going to Lowe's tonight to get the supplies.  We should be OK.  Thanks for the offer.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 04:40:13 PM »
Wish I could be there with you guys. I will be down the first week of April though, however I will probably be up during the week.
I am still looking for a project of my own on the boat. As of now I am doing the write ups on the new displays for Rick, and I am just emailing them to him. Something I really want to do on the boat is either start working on cleaning up the conning tower, or the torpedo rooms.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 04:57:33 PM »
Conning tower would be an easier task, since it would mainly involve scraping paint over a much smaller area.  In some places it breaks off easily by hand.

An easy project that just about anyone could do that's not afraid of electricty would be to repalce all of the flourescent fixtures with either wire nuts and a blank metal plate or a light fixture, if one is really needed in that area - of course power would be cut to the lighting system during work.

I would also like to see descriptions on all of the control panels and valves, so that visitors have an idea of what they are looking at... and the rest of us worker bees aren't always having to check the manuals when we're looking at or working on something.  But that would be a lot of work.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »
I am still looking for a project of my own on the boat.

Any electrical skills?  If you can hoist a motor into the conning tower, we could hook it up to the SJ mast and get it rotating.  We pulled the old motor down (heavy sucker) and were able to rotate it by hand.  I keep bugging Vaughn about it...maybe this summer.

PS...what's with all the spongebob face icons?  LOL   ;D

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:50:04 PM »
I am learning electrical stuff in my Physics class right now, and my grandpa is ok with electronics so I could ask him if I needed any help.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:25:22 PM »
Any electrical skills?  If you can hoist a motor into the conning tower, we could hook it up to the SJ mast and get it rotating.  We pulled the old motor down (heavy sucker) and were able to rotate it by hand.  I keep bugging Vaughn about it...maybe this summer.

PS...what's with all the spongebob face icons?  LOL   ;D

In one of the O'Kane novels...I think the one on the Wahoo, they used a washing machine motor to rotate the SJ mast.

And the spongebob smiley faces are my doing....I got tired of generic smiley faces.  :)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 09:56:06 AM »
Mark,

Has the SS Radar unit been checked out, yet?  The cabinet appears to be in very good condition.  I opened one of the panels a while ago and she appeared to be intact.  We should run the tube checker on each of the vacuum tubes this weekend.

But (and I know I sound like a broken record) we still need power to the I.C. circuit panel before any of these electronic gizmos ever get running, again.  I'll pick thebrain of the Cobia and Cod guys to see what they had to do to get theirs running, again.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 05:45:05 PM »
Last summer while working in the forward torpedo room, I noticed that in the torpedo ready indicator -on the left side of the compartment- had christmas lights in it that work, to show that the torpedo tubes are loaded and ready to go. However Rick and I noticed that the only plug in that worked in the room was right over the sound gear, so a good 21 feet away, can one of you guys check that out and see if there is a plug in closer so we can get that indicator board lit up? I think it would look really cool.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:48:48 PM »
can one of you guys check that out

Sure, I can take a look

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 10:14:11 PM »
Thanks, I just think it would look really cool, to see that all the tubes are ready, and maybe we could do the same for the conning tower tube ready lights.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 11:25:50 PM »
Has the SS Radar unit been checked out, yet?

Not that I'm aware of.  Only think I've done is refinish items (sonar, SJ cabinet, firing panels (which I found in the aft battery).

We can take a look tomorrow.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 05:59:37 PM »
So how was the visit today?

Mark Allen, were you able to take a look at the torpedo ready indicator board with the lights, and see if we could get that working?
Also, can you guys post up some pictures that you took, if you took any?