Author Topic: Drum's Escape Trunk - operating details  (Read 21766 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Drum's Escape Trunk - operating details
« on: March 20, 2008, 10:41:02 AM »
I was wondering if you had instructions (or could post them) on how to operate the escape trunk?  Something is blocking the lower hatch from opening on the Batfish and I noticed in your photo of the escape trunk that there appeared to be a handle sticking out at the bottom of the photo. It looks like it would interfere with the hatch if it wasn't moved out of the way.  Is this the case and, if so, which handle on the ceiling of the fwd torpedo room will move that handle when the lower hatch is shut?  Thanks.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Drum's Escape Trunk - operating details
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:48:20 AM »
This the hatch you're talking about?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:54:38 AM »
Yeah.  The lower hatch is unlatched but when you try to push up on it, it sounds like it's hitting something solid and made of metal.  The handle sticking out in the lower part of the picture may be the culprit.

Btw, they did an excellent paint job and restoration on that compartment.  Even the brass/copper is nice and shiney.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:56:44 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:33:31 PM »
Yes, that escape hatch looks fantastic.

I wonder if something has come loose that is blocking the hatch on the Batfish?  I guess you can not get at it through the outer hatch? I'm not sure as I never took a close look at the Torsk's hatch.   
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 02:47:31 PM »
Rick thinks that he could get access through the third, side hatch with "some muscle".  He'll probably take the bolts off and lift it off of the hatchway, with the help of someone else.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 06:47:51 PM »
I don't see the handle you are talking about and there isn't anything to block it, unless your dogs have not completely disengaged. We had to use a crow bar to open the side door and top hatch. Lesley Waters, the lady that works on the Drum redid the trunk by herself a couple of years ago. She spent about a month in there. As much as she hated too she had to remove the cork lining the inside because it was rusting under neath it. I will pass on the compliments. We don't have any instructions, sorry.

We now have all the deck hatches operating freely but we keep them locked shut with chain.
Tom Bowser

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »
Rick got the side hatch open and was able to partially cut one of the chain links holding that hatch shut.  His plan is to use a fulcrum and wedges on the hatch to bust the cut link and get access.  Peaking through the partially opened hatch, it looks like it needs a lot of TLC in there.  It would definitely be a nice little side project for someone.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 09:34:18 AM »
Definitely worth the effort to restore.  Looking at the Drum pic above, it is worth the time. The Torsks is left open so visitors can look up and inside. Often a point of interest and always questions of how the crew got out if there was a problem. 
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 09:49:28 AM »
It will be nice having ours operational, again.  I think our other one in the control room is blocked by a sailor manequin.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »
I helped restore Silversides' forward escape trunk as a side project in the fall of 1984 when the boat was at Navy Pier in Chicago. It was a mess, with sheets of peeling paint. I pin-chipped everything and stripped the brass and bronze piping in it. Then I gave it two coats of red lead and two coats of white rust-oleum. I returned to college to finish my degree and my teammates then detailed it, painting the lower flange red and some of the light fixtures green. I can't say what shape it's in now but it really shined when you looked up into it. I definitely agree it's worth doing.

Part of the problem with escape trunks and conning towers for that matter in good shape, especially for boats that are still afloat, is that they are places where the warm air from the boat collects and meets cold air surrounding the outside of the trunk or conning tower cylinder in winter. That creates a lot of condensation and thus, humidity, rust and corrosion.

One of my favorite parts of that project was having the top hatch open to provide ventilation. One October night, I was standing in the trunk and stuck my head out the top, to see the full moon rise over Lake Michigan. Live was good.

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »
I meant to say:

"Part of the problem KEEPING escape trunks and conning towers for that matter in good shape ..."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 01:05:27 PM »
I noticed heavy paint peeling in both places that you mentioned.  You can break off pieces in large chunks.  The good news is that paint scraping is a lot easier.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 08:35:30 PM »
I would be willing to take that on as a side project! Rick, I will talk to you.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 09:18:48 AM »
Travis,
You got it.   I will do everything I can to get the hatch open for you. 

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 09:50:11 AM »
I will do everything I can to get the hatch open for you.

Vaughn and I will be there a week from Saturday (April 5th).  Maybe we can take a look at it if you haven't gotten it open by then
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke