Author Topic: Type 20C-5 Switch Box for Sound-Powered Telephones  (Read 7385 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Type 20C-5 Switch Box for Sound-Powered Telephones
« on: July 20, 2009, 04:30:35 PM »
Can someone send me some photos of a Type 20C-5 switch box for the sound-powered phone system?  According to the fleet boat manual... "The switch box is located between the periscope walls in the control room, and facing to starboard has 20 toggle switches. Twelve of the switches in the 3 left-hand vertical rows serve the circuits of the XJA system, and 5 in the 2 right-hand vertical rows serve the JA system. The other 3 switches are spares."

I think I know what box they are referring to and we have the box and guts, but the interface panel is missing.  It's a small, silver box aft of our 1MC stack.  Thanks.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Type 20C-5 Switch Box for Sound-Powered Telephones
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:02:40 AM »
I found a picture of the Drum's switchboard that Tom posted last year, but I don't think that this is the newer model (20C-5) mentioned in the fleet boat manual - same principle, though.

Our switch box is about 10-12 inches high and maybe 8 inches across.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
I know that you guys are busy on the Drum with a lot of structural issues, but if you ever get a moment, please remove the switch panel and take some photos of the wiring leading to the panel and the back side of the panel, itself.  Thanks.

Also, if any of the Balao boats could take a picture of their switch panel, that would help us out a lot, too.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:26:42 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 06:03:41 PM »
Mark,
Sadly we discussed this issue 2 years ago and no one has stepped up to help, I will take a look on HNSA and see what they have posted since then..

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »
We got the jack on the fwd. periscope shear reconnected and we tested it using the radio room jack.  We figured out how to Jerry-rig the telephone box in order to get the jacks to talk to each other (with hand/headsets, of course).  I'd like to make a new switch panel to replace the old one that the Navy took decades ago.  The older style panels have the small direct connect jacks below below each switch.  The "newer" ones did not have the jacks.  I'm leaning toward the latter.

So, a photo of a newer panel would help me out a lot.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
I have no idea what type this sound powered phone switch box is, but this is what we have on Torsk.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »
That's the newer style with toggle switches and it still has the direct patch cable jacks. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 09:08:27 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor