Author Topic: Batfish Fundraising  (Read 16677 times)

Offline scamp588

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Batfish Fundraising
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:55:49 AM »
Henry Primeaux, a Tulsa auto dealer, AFL 2 team owner and former reservist who served aboard the USS Batfish during 1959 and 1960, is taking the fundraising helm for the Batfish.  His short-term goal is to raise $160K in the next six weeks to cover the cost of painting the boat.  His desire is to go back to the original WWII color scheme.  Overall, he would like to raise $1M for the Batfish preservation and other museum projects.

Today he spoke with Senator Jim Inhofe and has received his full support.  Mr. Inhofe is going to try and obtain the boat's original guns and attempt to obtain a retired dive trainer from subscol and create an attraction at the War Memorial Park where visitors can experience a depth charging, angles and dangles, etc.

To help generate revenue for the museum, he is having challenge coins made.  He has also ordered shirts and hats for resale at the museum.

In addition he has commissioned, Mike Wimmer, a local Muskogee artist, to paint the Batfish in a wartime setting which will be displayed at the museum.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Fundraising
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 03:14:50 PM »
WOW!  I knew that he wanted to help with the painting, but holy crap!   I was just thinking the other day how neat it would be to simulate the boat diving and rising or hearing depth charges going off.

As far as the original guns go, good luck with that one.  Maybe he can be instrumental is getting Mr. Inhofe to obtain one of Pt. Loma's 5"/25 guns.  As stated to them earlier, we'd be more than happy to send them one of our 3" guns.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:33:45 PM »
Holy Submarines Batman!  :o

This is great news!!! I hope it all works out for the museum. I remember seeing his interview and thought, wow, thats a nice publicity stunt. But now that he is taking steps to backing it up, wow! I just hope it actually pulls through.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 02:09:57 AM »
I never could get a response from Inhoffe - so kudos on that.  I wonder if there is any way we can pull of getting the boat's bell back.
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »
I know where it is as well as the 681's   Problem is that they are held by the NHC and they are reluctant in releasing any artifacts to us.  There is a lot of work being done both in DC as well as here to correct this problem.

Long story.   

Rick

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 11:02:02 PM »
Maybe we can ask specifically for Ihhoffes help on this request?  I can add Mary Fallin too.  I know her pretty good as I worked with her detail when I was a cop and she was lt governor.  Maybe I can get Keating to put in a word too.
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:54:27 PM »
Congratulations on the super finds aboard the BATFISH.  Remember, there are likely more treasures hidden aboard your sub. We are still finding stuff on COD!!!

I don't think the brackets described as belonging to the deck gun supports are that... the deck gun travel lock was a simple bracket that swung up to clamp over the barrel... no swiveling involved. Besides, the tubes were used to store torpedo room stuff and it is very unlikely that anything do do with the deck gun would end up there. Having said that, WE did find COD's original shallow and deep depth gages in the torpedo room... PAMP found theirs in the motor room... so there!

Keep looking !!!
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »
That would be sweet if we found our depth gauges in the dark, dank recesses of a motor room.

So, what's the latest news with Mr. Primeaux's fund raising efforts?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 07:55:06 PM »
So, what's the latest news with Mr. Primeaux's fund raising efforts?

I've been wondering that myself.  I hope this wasn't just a media stunt.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 09:07:48 AM »
We're weeks overdue in hearing something back.  I hope it wasn't a stunt, either, just to sell cars.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:59:56 PM »
Now we're months overdue...I'm beginning to lean towards publicity stunt.

I've noticed that Henry is still on TV selling his cars.

Oh well...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 05:27:39 PM »
Nice.  >:(

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 12:01:50 AM »
Well...it's been almost a year and all I hear are crickets.

I had a feeling this was going to be too good to be true.

Hey Rick - any news on all these promises from the original post of this thread?

Mark A.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »
The crickets continue to chirp.  I do not feel that Primeaux i going to hold true to his promises.   

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 02:27:30 PM »
Next time that he opens his big mouth, we should post something in the Tulsa World reminding everyone of his publicity stunts from the past.  Have a picture of the boat with the deck only partially finished and hull still rusting with the caption "Does this look like this boat/museum has seen a big donation to you?"

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor