Author Topic: Update on the Marlin and Freedom Park  (Read 27550 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Update on the Marlin and Freedom Park
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 10:41:36 AM »
Bill,

The Hono's sail and fairwater planes may still in Washington, the shipyard scrapped her when they removed the bow for the San Francisco :'( by the time the San Fran was in the water the Hono was nothing more then a memory. They shared the same drydock

I think that she was scrapped before Triton hit the mooring blocks for the last time.

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
Darrin, thanks. I am trying to find out from Paul if he can locate the Omaha's planes. If not, then we'll try for the HOno's and others to use.
Bill
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
HF Radio - USS Marlin
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 05:36:01 PM »
Hello Veijo

I have made a contact for you on the subject of local HAMs in the Omaha area who are excited about having some input with you on the USS Marlin. From past experiences, most recently Warships Weekend, this group of HAMs have worked the bands from the Hazard.  I suggested to them that you were working on bring the USS Marlin back to life and needed some guidance in older style TX/RX’vers.

Mary Joseph (Call Sign N0TRK) is a local operator who is actively involved in the Omaha Club, (AKSARBEN) and past operations at the Hazard.  She has suggested that you give her an email with your phone numbers etc., and she would be happy to bring resources to bear.

I hope that this connection will give you some additional help in your quest. I know from our experiences at the USS Batfish, we have had a lot of interest and we hope with the addition of the new Mast Support from the USS Oklahoma even more support will surface.

Please let me know if I can be of further service, and I will keep you posted as to our progress with HAM radio on the Batfish via the Sub forum.

Best Regards and good hunting!

Charlie Hoy - USS Batfish W5HOY

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 06:29:27 PM »
Charlie, thanks for the help and I'll get in touch with her. In the past they have had raido days from both ships and we would like to do that again. we have extra equipment sitting in the Maiint. Shed, so hopefully these people can tell us what is what and what can be used.
I'll have to find my pictures of the radio guys who painted the Marlin about 9 years ago.
Thanks for your help and I'll post here as things happen.
Bill

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 12:25:43 PM »
For those who haven't heard, Freedom Park is closed due to flooding. Many of the exhbits were moved to other places. Vehicles were set up on a mound that hopefully is above the level expected to be reached in the park.  The Marlin and the Hazard have mooring lines set to concrete anchors and will be adjusted as the ships rise ( if they do) because of the 10 foot rise  of water that is expected to hit within the next 2 weeks. The park is expected to be under water for the next 6 months. See the facebook page for Freedom Park to look at what has happened so far. I'll continue to update it with pictures and information.
Viejo