Author Topic: Where does this belong?  (Read 11008 times)

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
Where does this belong?
« on: November 11, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »
Can anyone tell me where this belongs on the sub and what it was used for (you better not say Special Requests!) ;)

A few years ago I noticed the Gift Shop manager was using it in the store and stole it back from her with the intent of returning it to its rightful location on the boat, but never got around to it...until now...

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Where does this belong?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »
I have no idea.  I bet it would be perfect for holding toilet paper rolls.  :)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:21:03 PM »
IF I had to guess it belongs in the Yeoman's Shack,  and IF I remember correctly it is for "special request chit's"   i.e. school's and liberty, etc.    Check around your Yeoman's office to see if the drilled holes match on the bulkhead.

Darrin

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 06:55:03 AM »
How big is it? It looks small. We don't have anything like that on the Drum but I will take a closer look today.
Tom

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »
4.5 X 6 X 8 in.

I was trying to match it to some holes in the Yeoman's yesterday, but couldn't find a match. It's gotta belong some where in the Officer's Quarters, because the back has light green paint. I'll try again today while I'm down there painting.

Thanks

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »
Hello Karen!!! I owe you pictures from Mobile!   :knuppel2:

You're on the right track with matching the holes with similar holes in the bulkhead (that Darrin is gold when it comes to good advice... too bad he drank waaaay too much torpedo juice...  :2funny:).

This looks like something that would have been made aboard a tender under the direction of the yeoman or such. If it were EB original it would be stainless steel and be the equivalent of a Rolls Royce Silver Phantom...  so I don't think any other sub is likely to have something like this. But I am not always on the right side of an issue.  My only input here is DO NOT LIMIT your search for hole alignment in the officer's quarters. Your boat had the Seafoam green paint in all crewspaces in the 1950s when she and COD were running around the Atlantic and Carribbean pretending to be Russkies. This box could easily have been bolted in the crew's mess for certain requirests. Also, the black plastic sign on it looks post-war, more for its size of type, etc., than its construction. But if this were original equipment, it's tag would be engraved stainless steel. Likely what happened was that sometime back in ancient times, someone bumped their elbow on this box on the tour route (or didn't) and some numbskull thought it should be removed for safety reasons. So my gut feeling says maybe in the companion way outside the yeoman's office...  if not in the crewsmess.  Good luck with the hunt!

Darrin:  can you ship me a gallon of the TJ?  My nerves are a wreck...   :crazy2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
That's right! Where are my pictures?  :knuppel2:

I kinda figured it was post war. Probably why it was taken off! I'm not going to worry about it too much then. Maybe it can just remain a cool prop in my office...

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 06:56:33 PM »
Here's an off the wall idea, look in the pantry and in the Wardroom and see if there are any holes there that match up, our O Gang on the Honolulu had a specail request box for what they wanted for dinner etc. That and the Yeoman could put special request chit's in the box for the XO, CO to sign.

Paul,
been out of Gilly for a while now and having to resort to drinking beer instead ;)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 12:53:39 AM »
Karen:

I'll burn a CD-ROM ASAP and mail it to you at the museum.

Whether it is WWII or Cold War, the box should be aboard the boat (IMHO) if it truly came from COBIA...  it all boils down to focus date. Now COBIA has been "altered" by her museum staff during the last 40 years or so, the Cold War era rescue bouys were pulled off and their wells plated over. But there are other Cold War mods aboard. Someday you folks will have to decide on a focus date for restoration...  Those bouys should be back aboard IMHO so as not to be lost.  So little changes were made to our subs post-WWII that we can keep them as they arrived in our towns and still have a true WWII sub. 

When are you and the crew coming to town?

Paul

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »
Mid-1945 seems to be the focus year according to the old reports I've been reading. I don't know if that will ever change...

Anyway, thanks for the photos. Can't wait to see them! I was just talking to the "crew" last week and it looks like they want to visit in May. We were going to talk about it more after the holidays. They said I'm allowed to tag along, even though I will be the only girl! Hope we can make it work!

Karen

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: Where does this belong? late as always
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 09:23:28 AM »
I haven't seen one of these :special request" boxes for years - we used it for making special requests for Gilly.  In the FTR we needed good reasons to let go of our precious Gilly.  :coolsmiley:

Never saw one of these on the Picuda.  But Paul may have come close to say it might have been something off a tender.  When you had several boats in port, special requests for parts, tools, and help would have come on a first come - first serve basis unless there was a specail need. 
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Sonar: The Eyes and Ears of the Boat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »
IF I had to guess it belongs in the Yeoman's Shack,  and IF I remember correctly it is for "special request chit's"   i.e. school's and liberty, etc.    Check around your Yeoman's office to see if the drilled holes match on the bulkhead.

Darrin

I thought the requests for leave, etc. were more like 5 by 7 inch forms.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 09:25:41 AM »
That box looks like what the USN would expect you to put a 5x7 card into!

Offline SOB

• On Eternal patrol
  • Seaman
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 04:42:31 AM »
Standard USN paper in that timeframe was 8"X10-1/2" -- in looking at a blowup photo of the box, it appears that there is an internal divider so I'd guess that each compartment is 4" wide by 6" high and 4-1/2" deep.

Those dimensions rule out cutting the paper in half - i.e. 5-1/4"X8" BUT it could accommodate quartered paper, i.e. 4"X5-1/4" -- I recall seeing forms printed aboard USS SPERRY AS-12 in the mid 50s that were 1/4 of a standard page, including My Wife chits.

I'd look in the Crews Mess first - that is where all of the My Wife chits were available to the crew in most diesel boats that I can recall. Otherwise, look on the bulkhead outside the YN shack for matching screw holes ....
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 04:54:53 AM by SOB »