Author Topic: Another random part question  (Read 12325 times)

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
Another random part question
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:57:15 PM »
One of my Overnight Tour Guides was rummaging around the Aft Battery and came across the part below. He asked me to post it here, because he would like to know more about it.

Thanks!
Karen (and Tim)

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Another random part question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »
That is a torpedo pusher used on MK 18 torpedoes. It fits over the tail and prop and the line from the block and tackle is run thru the sheeve. Lesley and I test fit one of ours on a MK 18 at Seawolf Park several years ago.
Tom

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:59:26 AM »
Thanks Tom! That's what he was thinking, but wanted to make sure. I think I've finally convinced him to sign up so he can ask his own questions. He'll fit right in!

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:47:02 PM »
If'n ya don't want it I know of a good museum who needs it :angel:    We don't have one on Torsk nor do we have the dimensions to make one, we had asked another boat to send us the dimensions and close up pics of it so we could reproduce one or two but that never happened :(

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 06:40:02 PM »
Darrin
What have you got to trade? we have two.
Tom

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »
If the trade doesn't work out, I'd be willing to send dimensions and pictures...

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 01:21:36 PM »
Yea! Karen!

Without that kind of support from COBIA, COD would be missing some very important stuff!  I don't think COD has any of hers either, so a set of good photos and dimensions would help in any future replication. It is not on our current list of 'To-dos" but sounds like others need it.  Another point for all to consider:

If you're going to do something like replicating pieces and parts, find out who else needs the stuff!  If and when you pay or find someone to do something like replicating parts, making two or three at a time is often not a big problem and it could be a fantastic lifesaver for another boat -- and they can "fund" the entire project.  Case in point: we replicated bunk bags years ago. My initial price point was halved if I doubled the order!  At the time, nobody wanted bunk bags! Sadly.   Oh well!  Again,  Karen and COBIA get a gold star!

:-*
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »
Thank you both Tom and Karen for the responses,

first and foremost I don't know what we have to trade with you Tom. send us a list and we will see what we got.  For the boats that have a weapon or two haning out of the tubes this is a big deal to have to complete their display, earlier this year we did a photo shoot for American Submarine magazine and we tried to simulate loading of the Mk 27 that we have in Tube #7 and that is the on piece that we were missing to make it look truly authentic (that and we were a little long in the tooth didn't help) ;)

In my opinion most will never need them again but it is nice to be able to properly display them with the weapon as a display when trying to "tube load" a weapon.

For Paul on the COD and for me on the TORSK it would be good just to have the pictures and dimensions to see so that IF the board members decided to replicate one or two they could and for me personally Tom I would love to have one so that we don't have to replicate one, again I have no idea what you all are needing and what we have to trade.

Thank you both for your responses

Darrin

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »
Darrin
We loaded our MK 27 using a small block and tackle and just put a loop around the prop. I  think it would have to be modified to work on the 27.Took three of us to do it. We also loaded it for the Seaviper movie with just two guys pushing in it, of course it helped that they were young. I will talk to our Curator and see if he will let it go. Right now I can't think of anything we need that you might have. Just look around and see what came off the Drum when the two boats were togther in D.C.  :2funny:
Tom

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »

Here is the movie web site for the U-boat film. go to the last video clip down and it shows us loading the MK 27

http://www.shredofhonor.blogspot.com/

Tom

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 11:43:11 PM »
Tom,
we did the same loop around the screw of the weapon for the photoshoot,  it worked well but it would be nice for us to have the actual piece to go with the display or at least the dimensions so if the board decideds to make one we can.
Are you all sure that parts didn't come off of the Torsk when it replaced you in DC??? :2funny:

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
Darrin
I will test fit the pusher to the 27 tomarrow, I think we tried it once and it would not stay on but might be able to modify. It is for the 18.

Nah the Torsk replaced the Drum and the Drum was on the way to be deavtivated so all the parts would have gone to Torsk. I am amazed at how much was left on the boat.

We do need some butt kits if you have any extra. I am thinking of trying to make some.
Tom

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 07:06:24 PM »
Darrin
The MK 18 pusher is not adaptable to the 27, the after body of the 27 is shorter and fatter and the pusher can't lock onto the screw nut. Do you have a MK 18? The 27 was light enough I think they just pushed it in.
Tom

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 06:23:25 PM »
Tom,

Thank you for the quick check for me and lemme see what the board members want to do, if nothing else we may be able to use that and some of the pics from the TM3&2 and come up with something that may work.

Darrin

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »
Darrin
Does the TM3&2 book have a photo for a pucher for the 27? I would like to see it if it does.
Tom