Author Topic: Weapons loading 17 March 2010  (Read 17499 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Weapons loading 17 March 2010
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
After looking back over a few posts here it is hard to believe that it has been over a year since we had our last questions about loading Weapons onboard ship for the first time in sooo many years and with crews that haven't either loaded them in years or NEVER.

With that being said, in the last year 3 boats have loaded weapons out and NO ONE got hurt and all 3 were a HUGE success. For me this was a bitter sweet school of the boat because I got to load the Torsk's latest weapon and it was the first time as the Weapons Supervisor and it was the first time that I loaded onboard the Torsk and as an FYI it was the first time that I had loaded any weapons in 15 years.

The Cavalla and the Batfish also loaded their weapons out with little trouble and that makes me VERY proud to know that hopefully things that were taught here were used on both boats because I know that what was taught here was used on Torsk :)

Hey Batfish Crew you still owe us a video of loading the weapons onboard

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons loading 17 March 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
A visitor to the boat posted this on YouTube (try to ignore the sarcasm)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXN7vqWRZ9I

One of the volunteers was going to film and photograph, but everyone available ended up getting involved.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »
how in the world were they even able to do that back in the 40s it must of took alot of time
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:39:45 AM »
You get very proficient when you load them all the time and it also helps when you have all of your loading gear where it is supposed to be ;)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:58:49 PM »
Yep the batfish was neat they had alot of torpedos then again i bet the torsk has alot too  ;D
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 01:19:41 AM »
Hey i have a dumb question but ya im only 16 anyway whats the differnce between a baleo class and gato class submarines the bow on the baleo class looks differnt but im not sure

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 09:46:46 AM »
The BIG difference between the boats was the hull thickness :smitten: then others can tell you that each boat was unique in construction and how they loooked and not like the "cookie cutter" submarines of today :coolsmiley: And sadly those folks are correct, there is very little difference in the first flight 688's (completely inside the boat and not exterior wise) I qualified on USS Honolulu SSN 718 and then rode the USS Olympia (SSN 717) out of the shipyards on sea trials, USS San Francisco (SSN 711) on an East Pac, and the USS Omaha (SSN 692) also on an East Pac and local ops. For me the biggest concern was relearning the different locations of the Damage Contol Equipment and then having to forget the Honolulu's Hydraulic system (split stern planes and flyby wire back ups) to the other boats that did NOT have those 2 unique options (Hono was the only one in the fleet with those options).

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »
Sounds like overall there pretty much the same,the batfish was cool i just wish i coulda got be in the conning tower and use the parascope i have to give credit to those ww2 guys they didnt have a easy job  thanks darrin

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 12:59:12 PM »
Woo hoo!!! I'm back on here again. Another year to Afghanistan under my belt and OUT...done, finished, fineto. I'm officially a civilian again. After this trip, I couldn't remember my logon or password  :uglystupid2:  so maybe it's about time.

Anyway, I look forward to getting back to school. I've been back-reading trying to play catch-up. Man, you guys covered a lot of ground!!!

By the way, this is one of the most informative threads of any forum that I visit. The Batfish Living History crew is starting to reap the rewards of your toil as well as Mark Sarsfield can attest.

With that being said, I'm ready for the next section! :)

Correy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 01:21:36 PM »
WELCOME HOME COREY 8)

Thank you for the kind words, I hope that ALL of the museum boats learned a little from this along with people that are interested in submarines and how the work.

Darrin

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 01:32:57 PM »
How was it over there see much combat?

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »
Thanks. I don't see how anyone COULDN'T learn from this. At the very least, you're teaching those with no military background how to really READ the NAVPERS manuals.

Tiger...unfortunately, the answer is yes. Just remember, "War is sweet to those who have no experience of it, but the experienced man trembles exceedingly at heart on its approach." -Pindar

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
I understand sir thanks for the quote

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »
Welcome back, Correy.

Yes, Darrin (and other old salts) have left us a gold mine on here.  It helped me write the rough draft for the qualification exam, but I think Tim and Roger want to make it a lot easier.  It's in Tim's hands, now.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 01:16:11 AM »
Welcome home!