Author Topic: I need a Script Writer..  (Read 33513 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
I need a Script Writer..
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »
i know how much everyone loves the recording on the boat.  So I have a way to help this out.   A local Radio personality has offered to read a script for us to augment the self guided tour that we hose.  He will do the recording and sound editing.  he just will not write the script.  Anyone interested please write one up for me and send it to me at ussbatfish@sbcglobal.net.  We will get the recording done.   Keep the following in mind.

1. Keep it historically accurate
2. spend 2-3 minutes for each compartment
3. I will need the finished script in Caps, Bold font, and Double Spaced.

Thanks for you help

Rick

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
Re: I need a Script Writer..
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:27:34 PM »
Dear Rick:

Let me know if no one else steps forward.

Fred

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:37:05 PM »
This is a cool idea.  I guess you would "rent" out small tape recorders or walkman's (if they even sell such a thing anymore)?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
I sent an email out to my volunteers as well.  Some you you may be getting this twice.    :)

I will see what I get back.

Rick

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 04:40:08 PM »
Actually it is audio being played over the ships internal system.  Right now it is being manually started in the museum.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »
I see.  The voice would talk about each compartment and then "gong" to move onto the next room.  That would be really cool if each segment only played in the corresponding compartment, but you'd have to run 10 speaker wires up to the museum and have 10 machines running... or have each recording hidden in each compartment and hooked up to the reproducer in that compartment.  Cheap MP3 players may work for that, but most run on batteries.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »
Right now it is being manually started in the museum.

That was the problem with the old tape.  you could be in one compartment and the tape would be somewhere else.  We need to think of something to remedy that.

Also, I'd like a copy of the script to incorporate into the tour booklets...that might help visitors know where they are in relation to the tape so they could synchronize their tour with the tape.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 05:18:18 PM »
Rick:

I'd be happy to do it. I actually have something written up from my years leading tours on the Silversides. Other than the submarine class, the boats are nearly identical. Let me know when you would need it by.

Fred

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »
I actually have something written up from my years leading tours on the Silversides

If neither Rick nor Fred minds, I'd like a copy to incorporate into the tour booklets.  Those need to be expanded...plus using text from Fred in the booklets will add consistency to the tour.

Is that OK with you guys (Rick & Fred)?  Just don't want to step on toes. 
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 05:40:48 PM »
Mark A
I do not have a problem with that at all.

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »
Me neither.

Let me know your deadline, Rick. ft236@hotmail.com. Also, I can tell you more about it.

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
The Pampanito uses a hand held player with head sets and in each compartment is a sign saying which number to push.
Tom Bowser

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »
Fred,
Thank you that will be a great help.  I will email you from work tomorrow so I have it at my office.  I do not mind using my home address (grizzly_1970@earthlink.net).   It is easier to keep things seperate though. 

The problem w/ MP3 players is the initial cost of them.  I have a problem getting the Board to let loose of money for the gift shop much less MP3 players.  We also have to take the user factor into play.  If they get damaged or lost that is another coste. 

In regards to breaking it down to seperate compartment is in the works.   One step at a time.......

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 10:35:05 PM »
No problem.  I'm  just throwing ideas out there as I think of them.  As an after thought, we'll want to use new speakers (and hide them), since we still need all of the reproducers connected together whether it's with the speaker wire or through the 1MC again some day.

Speaking (again) of 1MC, Fred put me into contact with the guy that restored the Silversides 1MC many years ago.  Apparently the boat had sunk at one point and despite that, they still got the stack working.  He thinks that we'll have less of an issue getting ours working than they did.  He suggests replacing all capacitors and the other guys recommend all or most of the resistors.  I'm still curious as to why Derrick thinks its DOA forever and how they got power to it in the first place.  Too bad he hasn't joined the forum, yet.   :'(

Btw, did you ever figure out what they heavy electronic unit went to that used to sit on top of the 1MC cabinet?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:41:20 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 09:03:02 AM »
Mark S.

Those units were moved into the after battery.  They did not have anything to do with what is going on in the control room.  I wanted themout of the way so that we can do the work that needs to be done.  Also I want to leave anything that could cause a potential injury.

Rick