Author Topic: COD returns tall ship salutes  (Read 7744 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
COD returns tall ship salutes
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:09:09 PM »
OK, I am not Cecil B. DeMill or even Cecil Howard, but here is the short video of COD returning the Tall Ship salutes yesterday.  The video compression causes much of the BANG to go away... let's just say that if you were there, you HEARD the BANG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCmcye22DKE

Paul

:crazy2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
Re: COD returns tall ship salutes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:37:27 PM »
So much better at night when you can see the flame. Yeah that's a pretty loud BANG in person!  :)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 09:58:50 PM »
Some how this seems to be a little unfair.  A 1890 tall ship vs a 1940 submaring.     :2funny:

Nice vide.   

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:01:52 PM »
Now to show how big a museum submarine geek I am,  I couldn't help but notice your 40 mm bracket.   We finally fabricated our own and it works well.  I am curious if you followed and existing plan from the 40's or did create your own design like we did....

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 10:18:24 PM »
I turned the volume way up and the gun sounded very nice paul.
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 02:18:59 PM »
About the 40mm travel lock:  the original was thrown away by one of our WWII subvets years ago out of spite: he didn't like the idea of non-subvets working on the submarine!  The replacement:  I provided shop drawings and photos of the original to our metal fabricator. Instead of producing an exact replica, another WWII subvet shipkeeper told him to ignor the curator's plans and do whatever was easy. It is about 75% accurate.  Gotta love the "old days."

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
I hear ya paul.   But, you know as well as I do we have to make some things work.   

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 10:51:41 PM »
Paul,

You have done wonders with the COD, I can only wish that others had the "Martha Stewart" of submarines onboard to take care of their boats the way that you have taken care of the COD :smitten:  For me as a SubVet I feel like I need to apologize for the ignorance of my bretheren because they did not know how much you truly have given in restoring the COD nor do they or did they or will they understand how much the COD feels alive because you have gone the extra distance to make her feel like she is still in commission.

And yes of all of the museum boats combined the COD is the ONLY WWII boat that could in fact shut her hatches and submerge and then have air pumped into her tanks and have NO water inside the people tank.. what little would or could seep in could be easily be pumped out. I am truly JEALOUS that you still have to come onboard the same way that her CREWS did when she was COMMISSIONED :smitten:

For those whom have not yet toured the COD you have sadly missed out to this point, I have walked the decks of the Pampinito, Torsk, Clamagore, Bowfin and a few others to include my beloved first flight 688 Class submarines..... the only boat that feels truly ready to go to sea (other then the few 688's that I rode way back when) is the USS COD

Disclaimer: I have yet to walk the decks of the USS Marlin or the USS Dolphin, and from what I understand they both have their hatches intact....... The Marlin may take a heck of a lot more water to get to submerge then the Dolphin...  ;)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 07:35:07 PM »
I agree with darrin iv looked at maney photos and seen all your videos on youtube paul and the USS COD is the most restored boat and probley could move on her own really  its truly excellent il have to go to her when i go there in the future hopefully shel be like she is now a masterpeaice full of great volunteers the cavlileers might not be good anymore but the Cod will always  be the best musem ship on earth.
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 08:53:34 PM »
Not sure, but Marlin has doors, yes?  Dolphin had a hatch cut away to accommodate a stair case, from what I was told...

But Razorback has her hatches intact as does the Lembit in Estonia.  But most of the boats could be made into a "ready to get underway" boat in a short time... just need a nutjob or two to do it...   :uglystupid2:

But thanks for the wonderful, glowing review!    I have a Kondike Bar for you when you visit next time (we have a freezer full of them, for now.... )

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 11:23:11 PM »
Im takeing a day trip to the razorback in Auguest. As far as i know of shes in pretty much ready condition. How maney times do you fire the guns on the Cod anyway a year.?