Author Topic: USS Lexington, CV-16 in Corpus Christi, TX  (Read 5204 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
USS Lexington, CV-16 in Corpus Christi, TX
« on: July 09, 2010, 02:56:46 PM »
I know this is about a target, but since we are in the preservation/education business, I thought I'd bring this to your attention.

I was on the Lexington on July 4th and was talking to one of their volunteers that was on deck.  I was asking about a couple of sections of wood that had been exposed.  For those of you who have not been there, the deck is basically asphalt.

Apparently two sections of the original teak deck have been exposed from when the Lexington was a straight deck carrier (i.e. during WWII).  The Lexington is resurfacing the entire flight deck and these two sections of deck will be covered.

I urge you to contact F.W. "ROCCO" Montesano, the Executive Direction @ rocco@usslexington.com and convince them to encase this teak somehow so that it is not lost.  Every time I've been there, the asphalt has covered the deck (and I didn't even know the teak was there)...but a chance visit last weekend stumbled upon this find.

I"m going to email "Rocco" and urge him to preserve this teak deck.  Maybe if enough will write, they will consider it.

Thanks!

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke