Author Topic: new things at the Batfish...  (Read 137149 times)

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
Re: new things at the Batfish...
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2008, 03:46:46 AM »
The thought has been brought up and duly shot down by vets and board members. 

Why would they get in the way of practically free money to get the boat fixed. Like Rick said, Big cost now, low maintenace later.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2008, 09:42:50 AM »
They want it done not only the right way, but a specific way.  Sometimes they leave very little room for maneuvering.  I find it more annoying that they have let things go this long with little to no attention, but when someone wants to improve the situation they butt in.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2008, 12:33:34 PM »
The single most important skill set in this and any business is not submarine expertise, but the ability to manage, handle, guide, and otherwise deal with boards and individuals... and something very rarely found in our business... its tough, because it rarely has anything to do with logic and what's right.

COD works well because we have a very small board (three active and two hands-off) and we all try to stay on the same page under the direction of the "skipper."
When we had WWII subvets on the advisory board I heard a lot of "excuses" and such that you describe.

Hopefully time with change their thinking.  Just be persistent and stay in for the longhaul.

PF  ???
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2008, 07:28:31 PM »
Notice the 1945 Ham radio antenna right up there in the periscopes.   :'(

Rick....HELP!!!!

Edit: I've removed most the following posts because in hindsight, it was not the right thing to do.  What I meant by posting this was that I wanted to discuss with Rick the possibility of moving the antenna.  I don't have a problem with hams or anyone doing their thing on the boat as long as they do 3 things:  1) remember that the sub is a museum FIRST; 2) pick up after themselves; and 3) don't damage anything.  OK, I'm done with this now and will continue further discussions with Rick offline.  My apologies to anyone I've upset. That wasn't my intention. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:47:48 AM by MWALLEN »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2008, 10:06:47 PM »
You didn't offend me Mark, you did what you thought was necessary to see what the other boats have going on and I for one have absolutly no problem with the HAM's nor do I have ANY problem with you and the Batfish, you guys are working your butts off just like we have been for a long time.. While our HAM's may not show up but once or twice a year for the museum online deal they did do a lot of work for us origionally and they have cleaned up after themselves and tried to stay out of most of our ways when they are onboard.

Keep up the good work shipmate and don't let anyone get you down ;)

Darrin

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2008, 12:02:48 AM »
I was not upset with you either Mark, I totally agree with you that the HAMS should take down the antenna on the periscope shears, and completely off the boat. They also should pick up after themselves, and not damage anything.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2008, 12:55:15 AM »
Thanks guys...no worries.  It's been a weird week in Batfish-land...but Rick has it under control and everything is going to work out fine.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2008, 08:39:12 AM »
Sam Whitley, our head radio operator at the Batfish, was offended by our conversations and rightly so.  I spoke out of turn with some of the criticism that I vented and I apologized to him.  It wasn't very Christ-like. 

Sam said that they are working on getting a more period-looking whip antenna at some point and that what is currently up there now is a VHF antenna transmitting at a max power of 10W.  The big HF antenna on the tower is where all of the high-powered long range contacts are transmitted through.  So, no RF worries, after all.

Again, I apologize for stirring the pot.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2008, 05:29:54 PM »
What kind of radios were used on the boat? If they are in to radios and stuff, why not see if they would fix up a period correct radio and operate it. Gets the boat restored and solves the antenna issue since the new antenna will be period as well.

Just a thought.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2008, 07:08:26 PM »
that process is a LONG and drawn out one at least and we have been working on ours for many years and it finally is running on mostly  mid '60s radio gear and it isn't always what the HAM's have in mind when they show up to run a radio room so part of you is damned if you do and damned if you don't. I have no idea what our HAM's are going to do this year when they see our equipment working on our origional antennaes, some of our gear is still using MORSE code and not just on the mike so it is interesting to hear our radio room work completly. Good luck with the restoration of your Radio Room

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2008, 08:35:32 PM »
What kind of radios were used on the boat? If they are in to radios and stuff, why not see if they would fix up a period correct radio and operate it. Gets the boat restored and solves the antenna issue since the new antenna will be period as well.

I think Sam has looked at them and has determined that there is no way to get them working.  I'm ignorant of the subject and am electronics-challenged...so I'm just passing along what I heard.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2008, 09:39:22 PM »
Nothing is impossible, but it would take a lot of time, money, and effort.  If Silversides could get the 1MC working after being submerged in saltwater, then we could EVENTUALLY get ours working.  I've had vacuum tube HF rigs from the 1960's that still worked with maintenance and coaxing.  The problem is finding someone with all the know how and years of experince to devote that much time to the project.  For the rest of us, it's a steep learning curve.  I'm not looking forward to ripping the 1MC apart and restoring it, but it's a bug in my butt that says it needs to be done.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2008, 11:45:23 PM »
Hey Mark S...

How's that project going?  Last I remember it was on hold and you were going to turn the aft battery (lower compartment) into a work area before proceeding.  Maybe we can look into that this Saturday.

I forgot to call Vaughn so it will have to be tomorrow before I find out.  I just don't know how much time on Saturday I'll have for deck work if Vaughn and Shawn both show up.  Vaughn may or may not need my help, but I want to be available...Shawn is bringing me some Nat'l Archive stuff. 

I'd be happy to help you clean up...or whatever...to the aft battery.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2008, 09:04:04 AM »
Cleaning out the aft battery is step one - along with finding a home for that stuff.  We'll need to have Rick involved to direct us, as well as some grunt  labor (i.e. naughty kids doing community service).

Step two is building a workshop down there. 

Once we're satsified with its setup, then I can think about removing Amp A from the 1MC (and getting a hernia) and maybe tinkering with some radio receivers.  Rick has one in the office that he says needs a new cord, but I'd like to do a full diagnostic on it before just plugging it in and forgetting about it - a manual would help. 

I've decided to make Rick's priorities my priorities, for the moment.  So, I'm totally on board with removing the deck, painting, etc. I haven't forgotten about my "science projects", but I think the exterior is more pressing.

Also, Derrick Able and Rick are batting around the idea of putting in a modern sound system under the radio shack.  They want to make it where different sound effects are played into each compartment from a single location, rather than setting up CD players all over the boat.   Plus, giving us P.A. capability, again, without having to set up the laptop.  So, eventually, the original 1MC will be useless other than to turn it on and watch the tubes and lights glow.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
OK...that is cool.

Cleaning out the aft battery is step one - along with finding a home for that stuff.

Saturday is suppose to be nice and sunny...but if the weather turns, we can look into starting that.