Author Topic: Any museum need real OBA cannisters?  (Read 6584 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Any museum need real OBA cannisters?
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »
Shipmates:

A friend of COD's has a supply of "good" OBA cannisters he needs to get rid of. Anyone need them?

Now keep in mind, these are oxygen candles, and probably are considered HAZMAT to ship... also you probably don't want them around
your ship in the event of a fire (they burn rather nicely, I am told, since they produce heat and oxygen when
triggered).  We only allow spent or repro cannisters aboard COD for that reason.

Any takers?

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Any museum need real OBA cannisters?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »
Where are they physically located?

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
Paul,

they go BOOOOM quite well once they have been activated and hit sea water :coolsmiley:  Not sayin that I have done that before for fun or anything :2funny:

Let me or Chief Mike know where they are, I am sure we can arrange something in the next few months to pick them up in Ohio ;)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:26:28 AM »
Actually our friend is on the East Coast!  I will contact him and add his info here...

:smitten:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline pekelney

• Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »
These are not safe (great way to start a fire) in the collection and should never be put where they can be accessed by the public.  The correct procedure for disposing of them is to punch a number of holes in the side and bottom and then throw them in a bucket of water.  This is printed on the side of the cold war ones I have seen.

rich

Offline pekelney

• Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »
Attached is a video of an OBA cannister being demilled.  You puncture the canister in the front, back and bottom and drop it into a bucket of water.  I would add that the bucket should be at least 5 gallons.  The water will become a little caustic so dump it between each canister.  Oxygen generators not much different from these have started lethal fires on airplanes.  No museum should have these in their collection unless they have been demilled.  FYI, we do not have any visible OBA storage on Pampanito so I threw them out.  Other museums could let these dry out and they would display well even after the demill.  The top cap does not have to be opened.

rich