Author Topic: BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update  (Read 96706 times)

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 07:09:26 PM »
Last summer Nick guagliardo was telling me that he was an avid opponent to putting that 20mm on because it had that base, and told me that the actual open bases they had were just fabricated out of extra steel at the shipyards before commissioning.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 08:21:54 PM »
Actually, the open tripod bases came with the 20mm gun from Oerlikon. They were not manufactured by the shipyards.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 08:27:06 PM »
I would like to eventually get back to the original tripod configuration.  I brought this up as a topic of discussion at this point.  Vaugh in working on the masive sink hole that has developed under the sidwalk.  He is going a great job.  This may be somthing for him to look at after he has finished up with that....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 08:34:43 AM »
I was reading through the fleet boat manual about the armaments and it was standard doctrine to put the 40mm on the bow smoking deck, if one was installed on board the boat.  I don't expect us to reweld the whole superstructure, though. 

Speaking of welding, at some point we need to add ammo hatches to the foward smoking deck and I think a lot of boats had the detachable can storage on the aft smoking deck.  Check out Pampanito, if you're not sure what I'm referring to.  This is low on the priority list, but a necessary item, none the less.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:36:52 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 08:48:16 AM »
I was reading through the fleet boat manual about the armaments and it was standard doctrine to put the 40mm on the bow smoking deck, if one was installed on board the boat.  I don't expect us to reweld the whole superstructure, though.

I've seen that configuration, I've seen 20's in both places, 40's in both places, and the configuration we have.

I think what was done was more from the perspective of available room.  I'm not 100% sure the 40 would have fit forward or not.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »
A lot of the museum photos of the boat show the 40mm on the front.  I think Rick said that our forward smoking deck is a reconstruction and it looks smaller than the one from the period photos.  I'm not losing any sleep over it, though.  She still looks good.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »
That sail has been heavily modified from construction.  The first and most obvous change is the missing lockers that were located on it

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 03:17:53 PM »
That sail has been heavily modified from construction.  The first and most obvous change is the missing lockers that were located on it

That and both gun platforms have been cut way down.  At least they didn't do the guppy conversion on it...keeping the WW2 bridge.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 07:59:06 PM »
OK, back to the 40mm update.

Got the starboard gear boxes greased up and worked the gun vertically and it is now raising and lowering much easier.  Goes from almost horizontal (restricted by the railing) to vertical.  Got about 1/2 of the top of the gun part painted and the whole barrel painted.  Also primered and painted the railing.  Put the seats back on but will still need to do some work on those.  Didn't get to the port side gear boxes but will work them on May 3rd.  Reinstalled the gun sights.  Still alot to do.  Vaughn is making the handles and is making the connecting rod between the port side gear boxes.  With any luck, on the 3rd, we should be able to move the gun by hand.

Attached are some photo's of what the new paint job is looking like.  Still alot to do, but you should see some improvement.

Killed 4 wasps...wounded a few more.

Mark A.

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »
Looking good guys, keep up the good work.
Tom Bowser

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2008, 09:25:49 PM »
Sorry about the enemy bogies.  It is that time of year and being right next to a river bank we do get a lot of critters.   

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2008, 02:06:12 AM »
That is looking awesome Mark, great job. And keep up the good work!!
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2008, 11:02:02 AM »
Yeah.  It looks 10X better already. BZ!

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 04:34:52 PM »
Thanks guys!!  I appreciate the feedback.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2008, 01:14:53 PM »
40mm update...got the port side gear boxes cleaned out and put new grease.  Worked the gun both horizontally and vertically.  Tried in vain to get the seats to lock in place, so had to have Vaughn tack weld them in place.  Finished painting the top of the gun (sorry, no photos this time).

The plan is to meet Vaughn out there on the 17th and put the handles on.  He didn't have them completed but said he would on the 17th.

That's about all we got done as we had to paint the underside of the cigarette deck and had to finish up on the SHARK Memorial.

Hopefully on the 17th, if we get the handles on, I'll take my video camera and try to get some video of it.

Cheers!

Mark A.