Author Topic: What do you/did you do for a living?  (Read 89776 times)

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
Re: What do you/did you do for a living?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
I work for NORDAM, an aircraft R&D and manufacturing company here in Tulsa. I've served 7 years in the Army (on the aviation side) so far as a UH-60 crewchief/doorgunner/mechanic/human rearview mirror. I spent the year between Feb 06 and Feb 07 getting shot at by Iraqis (and Iranians), just before that, I spent my summer getting shot at by New Orleanians, and just this year I spent my summer getting shot at by pot growing Californians while trying to put out wildfires near Chico, CA. Hmmm, maybe I need to find a new line of work.  ???
Anyway, I volunteer at 9 different museums Fort Gibson, Fort Smith, OSH Museum in Little Rock, the Batfish Museum, the Oklahoma Historical Society museum in OKC, the Prarie Grove Museum, and several smaller privately owned museums.

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 08:45:34 AM »
Tulsa ROCKS. The architecture, the Metro Diner, remnants of Route 66, the people ...

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 09:49:11 AM »
Corey you could always come to the dark side of the Aviation community and work on the Apache Longbow, it is fun a hell to watch it go out and make stuff go BOOOOOM and come back empty of all ammo onboard ;) that and the maintainers don't get shot at too much  :coolsmiley:  Besides a trip to Eustis is ALWAYS FUN :idiot2:

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 10:14:04 AM »
Personally, I had a blast at Eustis.  :uglystupid2:
A friend of mine from here in Oklahoma moved up there about 10 years ago and is (or at least was as I haven't talked to him in several years) the head curator there at the Eustis Transportation Military Museum on post. He's huge into history and he and I went out on the weekends and toured historical sites. I learned more about military history at Eustis than I did about helicopters. LOL

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 10:39:25 AM »
If you are talking about Dave Hanselman he just got back from a year overseas in the litter box, and yes I have worked with Dave on more then a few occasions while volunteering in the museum here on post and yes I do have his email addy and would send it to you if you would like

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »
We lived in Hampton 1999-2001. I took my son to the museum at Eustis when he was little and had a nice picnic lunch once of bologna sandwiches on the beach within sight of the mothball fleet.

No lie about all the history in the area. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some area where something happened that shaped our country.

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 12:20:37 PM »
Fred, you better hope PETA doesn't see you doing that!  :knuppel2:

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 01:22:44 PM »
Been here 4 years now and I still am finding historical markers on this post, and at Newport News Park that I have never seen before. And yes that little cubby hole beach right before you got to the maritime administration is a nice place to go and relax along with the rest of the little picnic areas on the river.

Offline Avery Boyer

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
Well, offically I don't have a "job" as I am still a student, no summer jobs yet either, but I do occasionally build scale models on commission. It's a good way to make a hobby work for you. It doesn't make me filthy rich, but it gives me enough for dates and it's more fun than the McDonald's drive through window  :coolsmiley:

Oh and if any of you guys ever want a nice model sub to display, I'd be happy to donate one. However, where you'd put it I have no clue. Just sayin' all the same. ;)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »
Well, offically I don't have a "job" as I am still a student, no summer jobs yet either, but I do occasionally build scale models on commission. It's a good way to make a hobby work for you. It doesn't make me filthy rich, but it gives me enough for dates and it's more fun than the McDonald's drive through window  :coolsmiley:

Oh and if any of you guys ever want a nice model sub to display, I'd be happy to donate one. However, where you'd put it I have no clue. Just sayin' all the same. ;)

Every time we go to Hobby Lobby, I admire that HUGE box for the Gato submarine model.  I've never put a model together in my life, so I never can justify paying the $100 just for the model alone, much less the additional tools that I'd need I suppose.

I wish I was a model kind of guy.   :2funny:

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 12:02:01 PM »
Everytime I walk by a Victoria's Secrete I wish I was a model guy too... :crazy2:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 01:27:05 PM »
Lance, I just got back into some model-building for the first time in more than 25 years. Despite having a jones for subs and the skills to build that 1/72 Gato, I just don't have the room to display something that big. Besides, I'd like to model a Portsmouth/Mare Island boat and the Gato kit has an Electric Boat/Manitowoc limber hole pattern.

If you're got time and really want to get into model building, start with the snap-tite kits, develop your skills and move up. It's an excellent way to spend time by yourself and is very relaxing.

Fred

Offline Avery Boyer

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 04:14:57 PM »
As Fred said, just start small. It's a blast and it's very rewarding.

Fred, Trumpeter makes a 1/144 Gato kit. They make an early war and a late war boat. Not sure about the limber hole patterns though.  I have one sitting in front of me at the moment and my only complaint is the kit only includes one 3"50 and two 20mm. I'd have like to seen a 5" and a 40mm bofors to model other versions.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:26:17 PM by Avery Boyer »

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 06:28:52 AM »
Thanks Avery! I was aware of the Trumpeter Gato kits, an early war version and a late war. They're still about two feet long and again, I don't have any place set up to display something that size. They are also Electric Boat versions. Also, go to www.nautilusmodels.com, http://ibs.eastcoastarmory.com or www.whiteensignmodels.com to look for the 1/144 scale deck guns you seek.

Fred

Offline Avery Boyer

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 09:41:05 AM »
Yeah, the Trumpy's are pretty big too. What we really need is a 1/350 line of subs  :coolsmiley:

Thanks for the links!