Author Topic: Go vote!  (Read 13568 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Go vote!
« on: November 04, 2008, 09:23:38 AM »
I'm sure all of you who can will be getting out to vote today, or else you have already voted via early voting (if your state is one of the 31 that has that) or via absentee.  Isn't it wonderful to live in a country where you can wake up in a (relatively) safe home, get into your vehicle or mode of transportation of choice, and go down to a neutral area to place your vote for all kinds of offices without persecution?

No matter who wins any election today, whether it be local, state, or national, any elected official has his/her work cut out for them today.  Why ANYONE would want to hold a public office today I just don't know.

And on the bright side, I'm thankful for all the many, many new registered voters....this will hopefully reduce my chances of being called upon again for jury duty for long time!!   :2funny:  I wonder if all these new voters realized that by registering to vote they are now on the list for possible jury duty?  Not that I minded jury duty, it was not all that bad.

So take care out there, I understand the lines will be long.  Today might be a good day to just take the phone off the hook.

Offline nomad66

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Go vote!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 09:49:29 AM »
Yeah, we will be heading out to vote in about an hour. Remember, if you don't cast your vote, you don't have a right to complain about the outcome. ;)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »
It took me me over an hour to get through the line, but I did it.   8)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:56:08 PM »
Yeah, we will be heading out to vote in about an hour. Remember, if you don't cast your vote, you don't have a right to complain about the outcome. ;)

Not entirely true...if I don't vote then I didn't elect the bad office holder.  ;D George Carlin said it best though, youtube it.
I am still going  :-\ on who I am going to vote for. I was going for Obama cause I don't like Pailin, but I found some stuff on Obama that is...unsettling. Oi Vey...
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:31:13 PM »
Unsettling is an understatement.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:36:30 PM »
Use the force!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2yKze0iu-U

I've been really into Star Wars (Ep 4,5,6) lately.  There is some kind of message to me somewhere in all of that which still holds true today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5-wiVF2UYg

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 04:02:20 PM »
Lately it's hard to try and push out all the smear campaigns. Both of them are very good at making the other look like the anti-christ.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 07:59:47 PM »
I went and voted today.  It was a great experience.  i was able to take my son with me and fight him to fill out the ballot and feed it through the card reader.    Anywho,  It was an excellent chance for the to undo some of the damage that My ex-wife casued in her anti-patriotic campaign.   He was so excited to see how it worked.   

Got s to love this country. 
Rick

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:59:50 PM »
Went and voted too. My first election. It was...odd. It was what I expected, but there was just something odd about it.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »
I'm a day late, but voted absentee last week.

Let's take time to remember that a Democracy is based on the freedoms we fought for so long ago - voting is your right to have a say in that Democracy.

So with that a little flash back - Tippecanoe and Tyler too!  Popular song and campain slogan of William H. Harrison, hero of Tippecanoe and his running mate John Tyler in the 1840 election pitted against the incumbent Martin Van Buren!

Mud is not new in politics.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:28:27 AM »
Well, down here in Mississippi, the sky is falling, the sky is falling.  Now that the election is (pretty much) over, I'll tell ya I voted for McCain, but I wasn't really happy with it.  I'm still not sure if either candidate has/had what it takes for the FUTURE of the USA.  But, I am willing to give Obama a chance without criticizing for a little while at least.

I still wish I could have seen what would have happened if Obama was Republican and McCain was Democrat...not THAT would have been fun to watch.

At least he's a good public speaker.   ::)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 09:29:47 AM »
We'll see how much freedom we have when the 2012 election rolls around.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 09:40:47 AM »
We'll see how much freedom we have when the 2012 election rolls around.

Well, if things are that bad by then PRAY that the Republicans can come up with a decent candidate to put up for nomination!  They should begin that process right now, and probably are.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 09:55:39 AM »
Yeah.  The Republican party needs to be rebuilt.  Get rid of the blue-blood, country club "conservatives" and get some real statesmen in there.

If things start to go down hill, secession wouldn't be a bad idea.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Avery Boyer

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 11:53:33 AM »
No matter who you voted for, keep an open mind and don't think you know what the next four years looks like, you just never know. I am so glad to hear so many McCain supporters saying they will give Obama a chance. We are after all the UNITED States of America not the red vs. blue states of America.