Author Topic: INSIDE PHOTOS  (Read 30729 times)

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
INSIDE PHOTOS
« on: March 18, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »
I will be posting more photos to this topic soon.  I think I have about 20 to get scanned for posting.  To start off first this will be one of the head.  I found the flushing instructions some place for the NAUTILUS SS-168.  They had been sent to rescue a number of Catholic Nuns, probably from the Phillipines.  I couldn't resist adding it here.  I always liked Dex's writings about The sub's Head.
K0EFV Tom USMC
Tom USMC

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: INSIDE PHOTOS
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »
We have a vet at the Batfish that used to be part of the training crew for either the Marlin or the Mackerel.  He had stories where they would pressurize the holding tank below the toilet, so that when someone unsuspecting went to use the toilet and open the flapper valve, they had a nice surpise flying up that them.  Usually, it was done to someone that would only be on the boat for a few days or had limited experience flushing the head.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 05:34:01 PM »
Yep, it seems all submariners played that joke. In the video interviews of the Batfish crew, they said they always did that to NQP's
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:11:41 PM »
Photos 1-4
Tom USMC

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:51:45 PM »
inside photos 5-8
Tom USMC

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 10:44:08 AM »
Nice photos, but she looks like she needs a new paint job inside, just like Batfish.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 01:19:52 PM »
Mark:
Well these photos were taken 8 years ago.  Since then all floorig was replaced to original, along with much interior painting, as well as updating the crew's mess to original appearance.  She may be due again for another dry dock but the fresh water from Lake Michigan is not as hard on the sub as some of those in salt water, and the exterior paint is not all that bad.  I am not sure if they plan to get the number four engine on line this year.  the other three sure sound good.  If they would put the props back on I think we could Hi-jack her out to Lake Michigan.
Tom USMC

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 01:30:43 PM »
I think Pampanito is probably close to getting seaworthy again, too, but I've been told that the Navy doesn't like the idea of having a fully operational boat sailing the seas.  I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with terrorism, but also, they probably don't want to be rescuing a WWII sub from the bottom of the ocean, if it has a diving accident.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »
inside phtos 9-12
Photos 9&11 are radios in the Crew's mess and Officers ward room.  They both work just fine even the magic eye for tuning.
Tom USMC

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »
Great photos.  You're making the rest of us jealous... to the point that we might have to plan a night raid... (jk)  ;D

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline K0EFV

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 05:28:56 PM »
Mark:
You are correct the Navy has made it MANDATORY that all props be removed.  I don't know if that applied so the big boys like Battleships and the Carriers.  I think I know where the props for the Cobia are stored.  Maybe if we can find a diver we could try a night hi-jacking. I will attach two more photos to this reply.  No.13 is yours truly in the Galley of the Cobia.  14 is a view looking into a cylinder of the Cobia's number four engine. And no the steak and eggs are not real.  Another of Jay Martin's great Ideas along with the pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes (we couldn't find a pack of red and green Luckies) , and the ashtray in the radio room.  I don't know how long it will be before the anti smoking band will want that removed and the heart people will complain that eggs are too high in Cholestrol, and will want the eggs replaced with a bowl of oatmeal.
K0EFV Tom USMC
Tom USMC

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 07:38:21 PM »
Dunno about the Mandatory Prop Removal - we still have our starboard prop aboard Torsk. Our Port prop is on display in Williamsport, PA. We never have figured out why they never took the starboard one - maybe it was stuck too tight?

Sometimes you can see the starboard prop from the pier when the water is clear in the Inner Harbor here in Baltimore - a rare event but it does happen!

This pic is from Torsk's 1986 drydocking at Sparrows Point:

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 08:19:37 PM »
Just for reference, the process to "mothball" fleet boats after the war, which occurred before any were released to become Naval Reserve trainers, was that the Navy was supposed to remove the screws (propellers), remove all the batteries, preserve all the diesel engines and electric motors in cosmolene (sp?), dry out the piping systems, install a dehumidifier for the interior and enclose the deck guns in "cocoons." Obviously, there were some exceptions: I understand Ling has her battery cells.

I don't know if the battleships and carriers had their props removed as a rule. It's been a while but I believe the USS North Carolina has one or two of her props on her after deck and I thought I read that the USS Intrepid had its trip to the shipyard delayed because the blade of one of its props was digging into the Hudson River mud.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 09:22:43 PM »
I was thinking the Drum still had both her props.  Not positive though.  Tom?

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 06:10:48 AM »
The screws on the Drum were made by the Welder at Battleship Park out of sheet alum. Looking at the Torsk photo it looks like he did a real good job. Right now they are still bare but once it warms up we are going to try to paint them to look like aged bronze.
Tom Bowser