Author Topic: SDIP Self-Inspection Checklist  (Read 67534 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: SDIP Self-Inspection Checklist
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 12:35:06 AM »
I should kick myself for not telling the BLUEBACK folks this:
  your hull numbers are probably outlined in weld marks on the sail!  Most boats have them.  Also on the hull.

Hope that helps.

Paul

:-[
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 12:55:17 PM »
I should have thought of that.  Now that you mention it, on the PLUNGER I remember that the weld marks were there.  Not used very often, but they were there if the need arose.

Thanks for the wake up.  I will check it out the next time I am down there.  With Spring break the next two weeks will be off days for the Monday work party.  Won't have to turn too until the 1st Monday in April.

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »
We just had our inspection and it went great, they are using the new form and most of it doesn't apply to land docked vessels. We had the same inspector as last year and he immediately saw the results of our efforts and was  really pleased. The inspection took 1 1/2 hours.
Tom

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 11:58:08 AM »
 :D Well done Tom!  :D
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 10:18:16 PM »
Updated today the original post to include a new schedule of what needs to be updated and how often.

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 05:16:17 PM »
Got  a guestion. Freedom Park where the Marlin is, seems to be a Navy Museum Site. does this means that I can find someone in the Navy to work with regarding items that could be used on the two ships. It would be nice if the Navy were willing to furnish things like dishes and blankets and even old paint they have lying around. Don't know who to write to about that. Maybe there is a division of the Navy that handles their Museum Parks.
Thanks,
Bill
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
Start with the Nautilus guys - but someone is bound to have better answers.  One other thing would be to contact your state Senator or Representative to seek help with getting contacts or aid from the Navy.
-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 07:14:17 PM »
Bill,

damned near everything that the Torsk Volunteer Association has gotten in the way of parts and paint has been bought with our own money, donated or stripped from the dead fleets in James River (Ft. Eustis) and Philly and yes we did have the Navy donate a set of mooring lines to me for the Torsk that is just about all that they have donated other then some of the active duty folks donating their time working on her with us(in the last 5 years that I have worked on her at least).  The best way that I have found to get into contact with the Navy is just to call the local base and explain who you are and what you are trying to do in regards to the Marlin and the other ship there and see what they can do to help you and for paint call your local Lowes or home improvement stores or the local paint shops and see if they will donate the paint to the park or cut you a deal on the paint.

get in contact with your local newspaper and news shows and bring them up to date on what you and your group are trying to do for the Freedom park and get the word out that you are looking for help from the local community and surrounding areas for help and support for restoring these vessels so they can be able to bring money back into the local community.

And finally post a wish list here on this website and ask the crews if they have any extra of the parts that you need and maybe they will be able to donate/transfer pieces parts to you and the Marlin.

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 08:41:24 PM »
Darin, thanks. I am in the process of getting in touch with the various commands around Omaha. I also have our DC who knows someone in Omaha that has a lot of contacts and we'll certainly be hitting up different stores for donations. I did post some information on the periscope to see if anyone knows where an eye piece can be found. Problem with parts is that they only made one other boat like it and that is gone. The size of the Marlin is such that very little of what is on it is used on any other submarine. The diving station is completely different than any I have seen. The torpedo and it's associated equipment are sized way down to the standard torpedos found on a boat. I do have someone furnishing a set of plans for it and that will help.
Thanks again,
Bill
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 09:04:45 AM »
 :D Bill the Diving Station is so different because  :2funny: dare I say  :2funny: They had Munchkins on board! LOL  :2funny:
-----

John

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »
The Drum was notified today that this years NavSea inspection will be in one and a half weeks, I guess they are trying sort of a surprise inspection, we are ready for them.
Tom

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 11:55:03 PM »
Tom,

I would wish you all good luck but you and Leslie have done so much with your boat that you don't need any luck, you may have a problem getting them to leave the boat and not come back for another year or two ;)  like that would be a bad thing having new volunteers right

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 07:04:12 AM »
I don't know if we are getting the reserve unit we have had in the past or regular navy. We had heard they were going with regular. Last year the team that did the Drum went back to the target and told the rest of the crew to go to the boat and see what we had done and the boat was a mess because we in the middle of filming the movie and we hadn't done much outside yet. I am not too worried about it no matter which group comes. I will let every one know.
Tom

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:36 AM »
We got Cmdr Barclay again this year.  I have worked with him every year that I have been here.  This has been a big help.  We had 3 other new reservists.   All went well I should have out hit list typed up later today.

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 06:11:38 PM »
Still waiting...  ;)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy