Author Topic: 13 Sept 2010 Loading weapons on the USS TORSK!!  (Read 9873 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
13 Sept 2010 Loading weapons on the USS TORSK!!
« on: September 13, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »
All,

The volunteer crew onboard the USS TORSK has loaded a pair of Mk 14's to include one that was onboard the Torsk from 1943-1944 and the weapons skids taken from the USS TROUT, IF you have a facebook account you can view the pics if you don't let me know and I can copy them and then post them online here..

Clicky da linky  http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5199228&fbid=429215068358&id=169077578358

Darrin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:31:04 PM by Darrin »

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Sept 2010 Loading weapons on the USS TORSK!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 10:32:48 PM »
Here is the news report with interviews with Frank Morgan (TM Div LPO) and Chuck Weaver (Torsk Crewmember and now Volunteer)

http://www.foxbaltimore.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wbff_vid_5197.shtml

And some Peectures for those whom would like to see it for themselves
http://www.usstorsk.org/volunteers/20100914torpedoload/tload01.htm
Darrin

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:11:05 PM »
The load went very well today. The crew did a great job!

That one MK14 (the black one) was actually on board Torsk in 63-64, according to the torpedo log book that we have a copy of. It was on quite a few boats during it's service life. Pretty interesting to read!

Gil

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:19:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  Always good to see a museum sub in the news!

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 02:27:03 PM »
Are you guys going to repaint them?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:20:12 PM »
That's still under discussion, and we're waiting for documentation from the Navy on restoration and preservation. One thought is that both fish are in original condition, original finish, and look as if they are "in use" weapons. The other thought is that they would look great painted and restored. So we're trying to work that out right now.

We lost our storage location and were kind of pressed to get them loaded before we actually had time to do any restoration so whatever gets done will be on board, which will make it that much more diffucult!

Time will tell!

Gil

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:27:46 PM »
I saw the TV video about the torpedos question how did you know that one of the torepdos has been on the torsk before hand anyway did you find it in the manufactors numbers or what?
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »
you can track the weapon by it's serial number, when the weapons were "on active duty" they came with a log book which was filled out by each boat that carried them and more importantly when they were MADE. It showed when they were loaded and offloaded from the boat. After the weapons were decommissioned the records went to Yorktown Naval Weapons Station here in Va for the east coast weapons and the Pac Fleet weapons records went to..... damn I don't remember now where they went to if they didn't get sent here also.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 07:46:18 PM »
Sweet so that explains alot thanks :D  im just glad shes back with the torsk after 60 something years
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »
They used Mk. 14's through the early 80's.  Even though the fish was on board the Torsk in the 60's, it doesn't mean that it was built in the 40's.  The Mk. 14 designs were upgraded several more times throughout its service life.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 12:19:33 PM »
Oh i get it now i thaught that with most torepdos after they were on the boats several times and not used that theyd be thrown away for scrap and also that Mk 14 was just used in the world war didnt know they were upgraded thats kewl