Author Topic: BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update  (Read 96864 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
Re: BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2008, 09:16:55 PM »
Just a quick thought regarding the 40mm gun.  Would it be possible to just put a 'stop' on it - something virtually unnoticed that would just prevent it from going low enough to hit the rail?  This way the gun can't get scraped up anymore.  If this is something already discussed forgive my not catching it.  But if not - this might be the less complicated choice.

Another note on the paint job - when we paing the entire boat in her wartime colors, we can certainly take advantage of the materials on hand and have a retouch done?  We are painting the boat in her black on grey color scheme, I am lead to believe.

As for the BLHA - I personally wish I could be there every weekend, just because I love it.  When I was there last for a development meeting with Rick I was thrilled to see my 9 year old (now 10) son thoroughly enjoy himself on the sub.  For him, it meant a lot to me that he could pull levers, spin wheels, and really intreact with the boat.  He told all of his school mates about it and more.  This is why I am involved.

We are also trying to get all of our crew in tees or such to keep us identified anytime we are on the boat, etc.  This should help show just how often we are there.

Shipwreck
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »
Hey Bradley,

The stop is one thing I'm thinking about.  It will take a visit with Vaughn to see if we can weld something on it.  I think it was brought up before earlier but doesn't hurt to discuss it again.

As for the when the boat is painted, I think we can just cover the gun and I can continue to touch it up.  I had the color blended at Lowes and I'm afraid if we touch up with another color, then the whole gun will need to be painted to match.  I think I'll just bring the paint down until the stop or the lock mechanism gets put on.

We'll see you on the 18th.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2008, 10:16:04 PM »
Do you know if we are going to replace the railing with correct railing or just keep what we have? This could mean the difference between having to touch up paint on a regular basis or just every now and then.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2008, 10:35:42 PM »
I know of no plans to replace what we have.

If we use a stop or a locking mechanism, the touch up painting will probably go away except for maybe twice a year.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2008, 05:34:56 PM »
Police SGt Rick here.... :police:

It is very important to remember that lots of people are doing lots of things.  We all must keep in mind that just because we do not see someone at the boat does not mean that they are not working.   Tim Katzan is working on the boat shoring up the bunks as we speak.  Our current PR Rep is also a BKHA member in addition to staring in a short film that was done on the Batfish.  He is full of Ideas.   I know all of the hard work that our current volunteers (including Mark Allen, Ed Williams and Vaughn and Mary Newkir) have gone a long way to fix her up and get us recognized.   We all have to remember that we are a part of a team.  We may not see what everyone is doing, but take heart that everyone is doing what they can.   

I CAN NOT SAY IT ENOUGH, THE VOLUNTEERS MAKE THIS PLACE RUN!

I know that there are some hurt feelings out there because of the choices that I must make at the Batfish.  I sincerly regret that, but we must remember that the Batfish is a museum and a memorial.   We must make money to keep this memorial running.  When I make less then desirable decision,  I do not make them lightly.  I stand by the decisions that I have made and can see the benifet that they are making.  If anyone has a problem with something occuring at the Batfish, feel free to call me.  You all have my work email and phone number.  I will be happy to give my personal contact info to any volunteer so they can call me any time day or night.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
Just an update...apparently "guests" were up on the forty and broke the rod between the hand crank and the gear box that will allow the 40 to rotate horizontally.

I'm going to call Vaughn and see if I can get him to come out on the 2nd and fix that...and the gun lock mechanism.

Cross your fingers...

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2009, 10:49:13 PM »
Broke?

You guys had a visit from Superman?  :)

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2009, 02:04:18 AM »
Just an update...apparently "guests" were up on the forty and broke the rod between the hand crank and the gear box that will allow the 40 to rotate horizontally.

I'm going to call Vaughn and see if I can get him to come out on the 2nd and fix that...and the gun lock mechanism.

Cross your fingers...

Talk with Tim Katzung too as he installed the lock mechanism.
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2009, 11:46:53 AM »
Unfortunately yes on the damage.  We have discussed this issue many times.  Tim Katzung has already made a replacement shafte (version 2.0) and is making some fine adjustments.  he also made the clame that will be used to secure the 40MM (also geting some last minute adjustments.   Given time and patients all will be made well. 

Thank you all for your help.

Rick